. . . and I Thought Hi-tech Boat Engines Were Bad . . .

tpenfield

Staff member
I had a problem with the AC/heat system on my car for the past 6-8 months and finally decided to fix it. As I was checking fuses (there is something like 150 of them), I managed to get one back in the wrong slot. :unsure: All heck broke loose and the car would not start and proceeded to display a plethora of error messages on the dashboard.

It took me a while to find my fuse error and in the process I ordered an OBD2 scanner thingy that I saw on the Internet (where else :D ) . . . it is called "Carly". I figure that I may need a capable scanner and this one seemed to be focused on BMW's and other foreign cars.

Anyway . . . having fixed the AC/heat issue (New blower fan and 'final stage unit'), I ran the OBD2 scan using the Carly thingy. 170 fault codes/errors o_O

IMG_5085.jpg
Here is a partial list of the issues for the various systems . . . :cautious:
IMG_5086.jpg
Not sure where to start. Seem crazy . . . I'm going to look for a reset button and start fresh to see how many are re-curring.

It makes my new fangled Mercruiser engines look simple :ROFLMAO:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
That’s what scares me about buying a newer late model vehicle! I have a nice Autel scanner that works well with all our vehicles.
Sometimes you get a flurry of spurious error codes from a defective battery, might try disconnecting & recharging the battery & reconnecting

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Bunch of " old guys " around town have the pick up trucks from the 60's.---Get around town just fine with no need for $150/hr dealer support.

Fun Times

Staff member
Clear the codes and hope nothing comes back.... The next truck that might be in the works of buying very soon here drives itself...I just hope not into the ground. :oops:

Extended warranty is going to cost a lot plus on top of the factory warranty at purchase, I might finally answer the next warranty spam call. :D

tpenfield

Staff member
Ted.... Your posts are the reason my next car will have a manual transmission, manual windows, manual steering, a carb and a manually adjusted brake bias bar
I recall that you warned me about the car (BMW).

dolluper

Captain
The coding part of the thingy could be dangerous lol...be careful with it...take a camera shot of any coding you have presently before you start monkey changing the coding .like module coding.good luck with your code thingy

Chief Petty Officer
Sorry to hear man. BMW's look great but maintenance is on another level.

My late model Lexus probably has more mileage than anyone on this forum and it's only needed oil changes.

tpenfield

Staff member
Disconnect the battery overnight and hope the ECU resets?
Did that . . . It looks like the thing stores every little warning & fault code. I'm gonna try to erase the history so as to start fresh and see if the thing keeps having codes.

The car runs fine and everything seems to work.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Well to do folks buy these cars.-----Great under warranty.----Keep buying a new one.-----Not a good car used , for folks with limited income.-----And nobody markets a new / simple car or pick-up these days.

tpenfield

Staff member
The entire Car is Failure Prone. These Barbarian Motor Wrecks don't Nickel and Dime you, they 100 and 1000 you at every turn.
Yes, I don't bring it to the dealer, and glad I have not now that I see the number of codes.

tpenfield

Staff member
Well to do folks buy these cars.-----Great under warranty.----Keep buying a new one.-----Not a good car used , for folks with limited income.-----And nobody markets a new / simple car or pick-up these days.
Yup, you are probably right about the simple cars being a thing of the past, because they all have similar gadgetry. While researching my no-start issue, I came across this video of why used BMW's are so inexpensive.

I have to admit, the car was not much money - I bought it CPO w/ 25K miles, it has just about every option offered then. The original sticker was $65K . . . I paid $28K back in 2019. The Admiral's new 2017 Ford Explorer was more money than this car.

It does need new rear struts, surprisingly (now has 53K miles). . . but those don't seem to generate a code :ROFLMAO:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
It does need new rear struts, surprisingly (now has 53K miles). . . but those don't seem to generate a code :ROFLMAO:
give the BMW keyboard jockies a few years and they will figure out how to run the shocks/struts thru the BCM

matt167

Captain
I’ve never wrenched on a BMW much. But seems I remember someone who loves them saying the modules need to be registered to the car via dealer software. That can be required with a battery change, so if some lost power it could mean a trip to the dealer