Anchor Rope

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Hate the 3 strand line as it is hard on the hands and seems to be much stiffer...just my opinion though, much prefer the braided lines which are typically more costly!!
I guess my old soft hands deserve a little comfort...
Agree...hate 3 strand. Had it on my last boat and swore to never buy it again.

However, braided is MUCH harder to splice to put around a thimble.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
My coast gard instructor made the comment that when laying in a pile on the floor of your boat it is a rope, but once you drop anchor it becomes a "rode"....lol..
Thats funny. My nautical training called ropes "line", the floor the "deck" and the crapper the "head".

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Agree...hate 3 strand. Had it on my last boat and swore to never buy it again.

However, braided is MUCH harder to splice to put around a thimble.
I never had a problem splicing 3 strand line including 2" manilla" largest diameter line on the tug where I spent a summer vacation as a deck hand. In using the Fid, a conical, hand held instrument made to open the "lays" of the line for insertion of a lay, in short or long splicing. I was filling in for regular deck hands on vacation and while here taught the normal deckhands on duty at the time how to splice.....Sea Explorer Scouts, BSA, Sea Explorer Ship "Neptune", Pasadena, Tx..

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yes, braided is more difficult to splice, but when it is done right it looks so cool, gives a more finnished look than the three strand....at least in my opinion....

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I never had a problem splicing 3 strand line including 2" manilla" largest diameter line on the tug where I spent a summer vacation as a deck hand. In using the Fid, a conical, hand held instrument made to open the "lays" of the line for insertion of a lay, in short or long splicing. I was filling in for regular deck hands on vacation and while here taught the normal deckhands on duty at the time how to splice.....Sea Explorer Scouts, BSA, Sea Explorer Ship "Neptune", Pasadena, Tx..
3 strand is the easy one. I can do those in my sleep. True braided line is what's hard.

This is what I use:

Last edited:

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sand or rock bottom you will anchor in? Minimum 1/2" diameter and length 3x the depth you will fish in (for normal weather). The key is to have lots of chain to hold anchor down so that it will dig in (if in sand bottom) . I don't fish on rocks or on top of wrecks. I don't like buying new anchors.
Mostly Sand/Mud, not really much rock at all, there are a few places I've ran into rock when trying to fish a dyke. Why the min of 1/2in line? just out of curiosity! I have used 3/8ths my entire boating career!

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Mostly Sand/Mud, not really much rock at all, there are a few places I've ran into rock when trying to fish a dyke. Why the min of 1/2in line? just out of curiosity! I have used 3/8ths my entire boating career!

Hard to imagine an 18.5' jon boat would need 1/2" rode... unless you're regularly out fishing in gales or in really swift current directly upstream of a dam.

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sand or rock bottom you will anchor in? Minimum 1/2" diameter and length 3x the depth you will fish in (for normal weather). The key is to have lots of chain to hold anchor down so that it will dig in (if in sand bottom) . I don't fish on rocks or on top of wrecks. I don't like buying new anchors.

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
3/8" is fine for that Jon boat. I moved from 3/8" to 1/2" on my 21 footer out of fear.

Some years ago, I broke down in the inlet. While waiting for a tow, the anchor got caught in a rock. When we pulled hard on that 3/8" line to retrieve the anchor, it sure thinned it out and it looked like it was ready to break. That day I vowed to get heavier anchor line.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Shouldn't need anything larger than 1/4" on a john boat.

While double braid is nice, use it for my dock lines, I run 150' of 3/8", 3 strand nylon with an eye to eye swivel and 6' of 3/8" chain on the anchor line.

The three strand is easier to keep clean in the anchor locker and a lot easier on the wallet when you get hung and have to cut an anchor line loose.

Keep 100' of 1/2" twisted sisal onboard for additional dock lines (cross ties) or backup anchor line if worst comes to worst.

harmanoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I haven't had any major issues. i have almost lost an anchor 2 times. but always retrieved it! Thank god!

airshot

Rear Admiral
I have lost a couple in my earlier years, once I started using a chain, dissapearing anchors stopped!!! I learned the knot was getting worn thru from rubbing in the bottom.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Hard to imagine an 18.5' jon boat would need 1/2" rode... unless you're regularly out fishing in gales or in really swift current directly upstream of a dam.
It's more for ease of grabbing than strength.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have lost a couple in my earlier years, once I started using a chain, dissapearing anchors stopped!!! I learned the knot was getting worn thru from rubbing in the bottom.
I had to cut my line on one that got caught in a submerged tree...hence the reason I needed to learn how to splice. I know exactly where it is in around 20' of water. Kinda deep to free dive to for me.

lalkelalke04

Recruit
Gee, I bought 300' of 1/2" 3 strand nylon line on the web for $40. You can find some bargains on the web.

airshot

Rear Admiral
That will be a heavy handfull...hope it is not all for a 16' jon boat..

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Hands get tired on LONG 3/8" lines. I even prefer 5/8" but it is too expensive. Besides, someone else pulls in my anchors.

airshot

Rear Admiral
I finally got smart, I stopped using anchors, unless in an emergency. I bought a boat with a TM that has spot lock, much easier (less work) than any anchor and rope. Best part is, it is so easy to change locations, sure wish I would have found this sooner!!!