Am I screwed??? Alpha 1 G2 question (video)

dlowdog9

Cadet
I replaced my trim sender and limit sensors last year (broken wire at sensor). While I had the outdrive off, i also replaced the hinge pins with new ones.
Today, I noticed my trim limit wasnt working. When i got the boat back to storage, i removed the sensor to investigate, and the sensor fell right off. The nipple had broken off in the hinge pin. The other side broke when i removed it. Then I noticed all this slop:

Did i miss a bushing when putting everything back together last year? I know the pins were correct and the same size.

I guess my final question is...
How screwed am I?

Boat runs great. 2004 Sea Ray 185 Sport 150hrs 4.3L
Thanks for any responses!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
That's wear in the gimbal ring. Gimbal ring needs to be replaced.

How screwed are you? Totally....

Chris...

Fun Times

Staff member
The item # i bought was #5. Mabey i needed the other one with the bushing?
I don't believe so being you have an 2004 and i believe the change form greasing to non greasing pins happened around 2008ish...Do you have grease zerk fittings? Is the Drive/Transom serial number handy.

I sort of recall another recent pass forum member finding something similar and having the wrong pins installed do to a packaging / labeling mix-up so just double check as you get further into this issue at hand just to be sure.

dlowdog9

Cadet
I don't believe so being you have an 2004 and i believe the change form greasing to non greasing pins happened around 2008ish...Do you have grease zerk fittings? Is the Drive/Transom serial number handy.

I sort of recall another recent pass forum member finding something similar and having the wrong pins installed do to a packaging / labeling mix-up so just double check as you get further into this issue at hand just to be sure.
I do have a zerks on the side.
Drive #0W539767

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
The item # i bought was #5. Mabey i needed the other one with the bushing?
I am not 100% on Alphas, since mine all required grease fitting type hinge pins. But, my Bravos needed special performance hinge bushings, not requiring grease fittings. Is slop horizontal or vertical or both? R u the original boat owner? Is there a chance that you have a newer OD requiring bushing and not standard hinge pins with grease fittings???? You might just need washers as Alldodge implied. I had to replace my Bravo's too!

dlowdog9

Cadet
I am not 100% on Alphas, since mine all required grease fitting type hinge pins. But, my Bravos needed special performance hinge bushings, not requiring grease fittings. Is slop horizontal or vertical or both? R u the original boat owner? Is there a chance that you have a newer OD requiring bushing and not standard hinge pins with grease fittings???? You might just need washers as Alldodge implied. I had to replace my Bravo's too!
The slop is all the way around. I am the 3rd or 4th owner. Bought the boat 3 years ago with less than 70hrs on it. Boat sat for most of its life. I highly doubt the OD was ever changed or removed until i did it last year to install the new sensors. Im going to double check the old pins with the new but im 99% sure they are the same. I remember instaling washers between the ring and bellhousing when i put it back in. Thanks for the response.

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Was the slop there when you installed the new pins before the start of the season? Was the slop there in the old pins, is that why you changed them? Did you measure the diameter of the old pin versus the new pin?

Searay205

Chief Petty Officer
I had boats with over 700 hours and never seen wear like that. Make sure you have the right pins.

76SeaRay

Lieutenant Junior Grade
If it is any help, my Alpha One Gen One new hinge pins are part number 77123 and they measure out at 0.812 inches in diameter on the bearing surface. I just painted my gimbal ring and haven't cleaned the overspray out of the holes so I don't have the hole dimension right now.