aluminum wheels stuck to hub

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I had a flat yesterday on an old dirt road. The rear tire an my f150. The tire was very hard to get off. I eventually had to get a big rock and repeatedly beat it against the rim. This tire had been on there for a few years. I know people put grease on there when changing tires, as do I, but you would think there should be a better way? Like some kind of gasket or something to create a physical barrier. Any thoughts or remedies?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Rotate tires every 5000-10000 miles

Antisieze on the hubs ( just don't put it on the brake rotors)

Renken2000Classic

Petty Officer 2nd Class
How'd the aluminum rim weather that?

I've got a front hub/rotor (RWD truck) that apparently is out of tolerance because wheels stick on it. I add just a little grease if I remember to.

Getting them off is a heavy rubber mallet or deadblow hammer on the inside sidewall of the tire while rotating the wheel.

briangcc

Commander
Grease on the threads and seating surface of the rim...when I was younger and did the rotations myself. I'm old(er), fat(ter) and have kids so I let the next generation do my oil changes and tire rotations now.

I carry a trolly jack so if it was to happen now, I'd loosen the lugnuts a bit, raise the vehicle, then let her slam down on the ground. Should be enough force to dislodge a stuck wheel.

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
How'd the aluminum rim weather that?

I've got a front hub/rotor (RWD truck) that apparently is out of tolerance because wheels stick on it. I add just a little grease if I remember to.

Getting them off is a heavy rubber mallet or deadblow hammer on the inside sidewall of the tire while rotating the wheel.
The rims didn't like it one bit........

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
I use a palm sander and smooth out the mating surfaces of the aluminum wheels...... apply never seize and done. I also use the spare tire as a weight - swing it into the flat and there is usually enough mass to help get a stuck wheel off. Got to love living in an area where salt and liquid chloride attack everything

Reactions: KJM

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I use a palm sander and smooth out the mating surfaces of the aluminum wheels...... apply never seize and done. I also use the spare tire as a weight - swing it into the flat and there is usually enough mass to help get a stuck wheel off. Got to love living in an area where salt and liquid chloride attack everything
Using the spare as a mallet seems like a good idea!

Bondo

Staff member
I had a flat yesterday on an old dirt road. The rear tire an my f150. The tire was very hard to get off. I eventually had to get a big rock and repeatedly beat it against the rim. This tire had been on there for a few years. I know people put grease on there when changing tires, as do I, but you would think there should be a better way? Like some kind of gasket or something to create a physical barrier. Any thoughts or remedies?
Ayuh,...... I quit using never-seize after many head butting sessions with Don S,......
I now slather 'bout anything I hope to take apart someday, with Perfect Seal, aka: form-a-gasket liquid non-hardening,.....
No doubt, the greatest knowledge gift I got from Don S,..... ;)

KJM

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Ayuh,...... I quit using never-seize after many head butting sessions with Don S,......
I now slather 'bout anything I hope to take apart someday, with Perfect Seal, aka: form-a-gasket liquid non-hardening,.....
No doubt, the greatest knowledge gift I got from Don S,..... ;)
I might have to try that!

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I have used antiseize on the hub area of aluminum wheels on our vehicles for years without problems, never had a rim stick on a rotor or drum.
Now on the boat trailer that goes in salt water I use Evinrude triple guard grease instead. I had heard that antiseize could cause problems in salt water depending on the metal you’re putting it on & the the type of antiseize. Regular antiseize has copper & nickel in it but aluminum antiseize does not. On fasteners on the outdrive all I use is Evinrude gasket sealer.
If you want to use antiseize on the alu rims on your vehicle just use the alu antiseize.

Bondo

Staff member
I might have to try that!
Ayuh,..... Believe me,.... Once you do, you'll never go back to grease or never-seize,....
I've still got the bottle of never-seize I was using years ago, when Don S finally beat into my brain that Perfect Seal works, where grease or never-seize disappears over time,....

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Oxygen joins with the aluminum in the presence of water ( salty water ) and forms that white powder.-----So nature puts more material in there ( oxygen ) little by little and jams it up.-----So yes , if you keep moisture and air out of the joint you will be golden !

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I use permatex #3 (aviation) on all machined joints and as both an anti-sieze as well as a sealant for fasteners. I use it on gear box surfaces, seachest threaded connections, all the bolts exposed to both salt and fresh water, and a few other things

for exhaust bolts, I use maalox.