Alignment Tool

airshot

Rear Admiral
I looked, couldn't find anything. Can you tell me where you saw it. Remember I am looking for the gimbal bearing specifications, specifically the inside diameter. Not the measurements of the alignment tool. I know what they are. Thanks
The inside of the bearing means nothing, use the dimensions that Mercruiser gives for the alignment tool, these dimensions will gave the proper clearances required by Merc. Just compare the dimensions on the post showung the tool to your tool, if it matches your good, if not return the tool for the proper one. You will not get precise inside dimensions of the gimbal bearing with calipers...you will need an ID micrometer or a dial bore gage.

Bondo

Staff member
Right off the bat I am having nothing but trouble. I have a spline shaft that I can insert about 1/4 in to the coupler which is fine because I know the engine is not aligned yet.

Ayuh,..... Bein' a gimballed bearin',......
You did, knock it left / right, up / down, to get it sorta lined up with the coupler, Right,..??

Rivergator

Petty Officer 1st Class
Ok the verdict is in. The tool is bad (.). How stupid is that? I mean how difficult is it to turn a shaft on a lathe to precisely 1.375". Unbelievable! Anyway, I went ahead and ordered a new gimbal bearing (I am fine with that, because it will be needed in the future sooner or later I am sure) and the new bearing will not slip over the alignment tool, which I basically knew already because the ID of 1.380 (thanks Alumarine) certainly will not slip over a shaft that is 1.3815, not any time soon. But I wanted to get to the bottom of this and make absolutely sure I know where the problem was, before I return this tool and give the seller a piece of my mind. Like many of you mentioned, me taking sloppy measurements could have been the problem too. The seller will get to hear some harsh words from me for selling this junk, for sure.

Rivergator

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am looking at all the alignment tools from a single alignment bar to the fancy bearing pullers and installer attachments. Can anybody tell me what tool #1 is for? Why does tool #2 has a bolt through it and the tool in picture #3 doesn't. Are they used for the same purpose or different applications?

Attachments

• Part1.jpg
    Part1.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 3
  • Part2.jpg
    Part2.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 3
  • Part3.jpg
    Part3.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 3

rustybronco

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking at all the alignment tools from a single alignment bar to the fancy bearing pullers and installer attachments. Can anybody tell me what tool #1 is for? Why does tool #2 has a bolt through it and the tool in picture #3 doesn't. Are they used for the same purpose or different applications?
#1 is the seal installer. #2 is the gimbal bearing installer. The bolt through it goes through a hole that is drilled in the alignment shaft; usually something the purchaser has to drill themselves. #3 I cant see well enough to comment on other than I personally would be ot buy a two piece alignment shaft.

Scott06

Vice Admiral
1 may be a driver for the semi useless grease seal in front of the gimbal bearing or a gimbal bearing driver. 2 is the driver for the gimbal bearing. Some tools require the purchaser to drill the alignment bar so the pin can hold it to drive in the gimbal- in my opinion this is BS, tool should be complete …

do you have a machine shop handy i think in the stickies are dims for making your own alignment tool. Might be easier for yiu to have it turned to the correct size locally than getting another POS tool…

Rivergator

Petty Officer 1st Class
1 may be a driver for the semi useless grease seal in front of the gimbal bearing or a gimbal bearing driver. 2 is the driver for the gimbal bearing. Some tools require the purchaser to drill the alignment bar so the pin can hold it to drive in the gimbal- in my opinion this is BS, tool should be complete …

do you have a machine shop handy i think in the stickies are dims for making your own alignment tool. Might be easier for yiu to have it turned to the correct size locally than getting another POS tool…
I just caught a video of someone explaining the bolt thru the driver, that does sound a bit half assy to me too having to drill a hole through the bar. The tool #3 is the one that I have received and which I returned because it was too thick and would not allow to slip thru the gimbal bearing. I returned it for another one thinking it may be an isolated case but the second one is the same just like the first one was, so I am debating sending it back too or have a machine shop make it right like you suggested.