Air Pump

tgrif61380

Recruit
Does anyone have or know of a permanent on board air pump or compressor that would be good to air up inflatables. Tubes, inflatable dock and inflatable paddle boards. I’m looking for one that I can mount a pump or compressor in the engine compartment and have a fitting on the back of the boat somewhere to hook up an air hose. I have a fitting to use that hooks the inflatables up to an air hose.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Most good ones are 110 volt, most 12v battery units are pretty cheap on quality. There are some good ones I found back when I had a motorhome, but they are not cheap.

tgrif61380

Recruit
Most good ones are 110 volt, most 12v battery units are pretty cheap on quality. There are some good ones I found back when I had a motorhome, but they are not cheap.
I’ve found a few on amazon that may work. I was just wondering if anyone had any luck on them. I’ve watched several you tube videos that shows using a portable air compressor is much faster than the inflators you can buy for the paddle boards and docks. Plus, I’m tired of having to get a pump out and air everything up. Frank g a coil hose will be much easier.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if you are going to put a compressor in the bilge, it needs to be SAE J1171 compliant so you dont blow your boat up.

the issue with any on-board system is going to be how much volume of air you will have. anything that is 12 volt is not going to have a large tank.

Plus, I’m tired of having to get a pump out and air everything up. Frank g a coil hose will be much easier.
Not sure there is a solution for this.

tgrif61380

Recruit
if you are going to put a compressor in the bilge, it needs to be SAE J1171 compliant so you dont blow your boat up.

the issue with any on-board system is going to be how much volume of air you will have. anything that is 12 volt is not going to have a large tank.

Not sure there is a solution for this.
I found a solution. A 6 cfm 12 volt inflator. I’m installing it under my sink next to my water pump for the sink. Using my unused accessory switch at the helm to power it on and off. Installing a quick connect under the seat in the back of the boat. From there I’ll use a hose and an inflator with a pressure gauge on it with a fitting that is used to air up SUP and inflatable docks.