Adding a water pressure gauge to 1987 70ETLH

doh13

Cadet
Hi , I am wanting to add a water pressure gauge to the ol yammi- haa , I was debating between water pressure and a temp gauge and realized that the temp gauge will tell you there is a problem but maybe too late ( there is also a built in temp alarm if it still works) . A water pressure gauge would tell you there could/will be a problem (not including overheating from lack of oil etc..). Im wondering where to get a decent priced water pressure gauge and where it would install on this motor I am guessing where the arrow is in the attached pic would be a decent place for a water pressure gauge?

Attachments

• 549132533294419489b6320309baa9fe.jpg
    549132533294419489b6320309baa9fe.jpg
    532.2 KB · Views: 0

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
most people will not even look at the gauges until an alarm sounds, So not much help.
heck the tell tail stream will tell you if the pump is pumping water if you look at it

doh13

Cadet
most people will not even look at the gauges until an alarm sounds, So not much help.
heck the tell tail stream will tell you if the pump is pumping water if you look at it
I look at gauges more than most ppl would and I look at the wizz stream once every 5 mins so the gauge might save me some neck pain :ROFLMAO: . Maybe i could install a rear view camera pointed at the pee stream eh?:poop:
In all seriousness its not necessary to have a gauge but the pee stream can/does get clogged occasionally and i wouldn't know if it was 100% an issue with the pump or just the pee stream being clogged but the gauge would tell me this info. From what I have researched its prob cheaper to add a temp gauge but the water pressure gauge is more appealing.

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
find a spot on the head or tap into the tell tail maybe

If my TT stops flowing ,I find out why right away.
A piece of weed wacker line stays in the boat so I can shove it up the TT hole to clear debris

doh13

Cadet
find a spot on the head or tap into the tell tail maybe

If my TT stops flowing ,I find out why right away.
A piece of weed wacker line stays in the boat so I can shove it up the TT hole to clear debris
got mechanics wire aboard. still want gauge lol i think i know where i could put one but if anyone actually has one installed and has a pic would be great.

Last edited:

saltchuckmatt

Lieutenant Commander
got mechanics wire aboard. still want gauge lol i think i know where i could put one but if anyone actually has one installed and has a pic would be great.
At the end of the day the audible alarm is the best. You can have water pumping fine (good reading at psi gauge) and still get an overheat from something farther up the cooling system. If you want the best of both worlds put in a temp gauge and a pressure gauge if you feel it's necessary to stare at the instruments while driving.

If you do end up installing those gauges please let me know where you go boating so I can be somewhere else!

doh13

Cadet
At the end of the day the audible alarm is the best. You can have water pumping fine (good reading at psi gauge) and still get an overheat from something farther up the cooling system. If you want the best of both worlds put in a temp gauge and a pressure gauge if you feel it's necessary to stare at the instruments while driving.

If you do end up installing those gauges please let me know where you go boating so I can be somewhere else!

No worries about other boats they are usually few and far between in my area, I might run a few rock ledges over whilst gawking at my new gauges though.:ROFLMAO:

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
I installed a water pressure gauge on my F150HP. It did not read anything. After talking with a Yamaha tech he told be the motor runs on high volume low water pressure . Therefore the gauge did not read any pressure. This is something to think about before you go thru the trouble and expense of installing a gauge.

doh13

Cadet
I installed a water pressure gauge on my F150HP. It did not read anything. After talking with a Yamaha tech he told be the motor runs on high volume low water pressure . Therefore the gauge did not read any pressure. This is something to think about before you go thru the trouble and expense of installing a gauge.
Maybe I will install a temp gauge instead or just leave well enough alone, Thank you for the info sir!

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
That's what I wished I would have done. Check with a couple of mechanics to get their opinion on your motor. It's easy to glance at the pisser once in a while to confirm the water pump is working, that's what I do.
Maybe I will install a temp gauge instead or just leave well enough alone, Thank you for the info sir!