'95 Mercruiser 350 Mag Mechanical Fuel Pump Replaced - No Pressure

ThndrSki

Seaman
I was getting no fuel pressure previously, checked for issues with blockages to the tank, check valve, etc. All proved negative. I also hooked a line to the inlet side of the fuel pump and nothing.

I replaced the fuel pump by holding the push-rod up in the cavity and sliding the new pump in and tightening the bolts. After minutes of cranking bursts, I checked the fuel water separator and nothing was in there. Hooked a fuel hose up to the inlet and nothing again....

I then noticed a ton of oil under the motor coming from the oil filter; apparently it had rusted through and bled everywhere. This was on my list of things to change after the fuel pump (fresh oil/filter).

My question is, I can't tell if the pushrod operates off of oil pressure or directly on the cam lobe. Could I have somehow "slipped" and let the push-rod fall or slide over and the fuel pump bolted on? It went in easy....

First thing I'll change the oil and filter, but what gives?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
the mechanical pump uses a rod and its impossable to miss it installing a pump, I would check to se if the pushrod moves when you spin/crank the motor.
could have a bad cam.

ThndrSki

Seaman
Yes I couldn't miss the pushrod as I had to hold it out of the way for the pump to go into place...

ThndrSki

Seaman
Is it possible I could have installed the pump and let the pushrod fall all the way back down?

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
I think that's unlikely, all my years of gm motors never missed one.

buzzm19

Petty Officer 2nd Class
if the cam lobe is ok I ran into this problem about four years ago, two new fuel pumps zero pressure, the old ones I pulled had only 4lbs. I compared the two and found a manufacture defict, the new pump arms were bent low enough that the rod could not push the rod, I wound up changing the top parts and installed had 8lbs pressure. And of course the pumps were made in china, its a little hard but you could bench test and see if the pumps are working and you can use plain water. hope this helps Buz

ThndrSki

Seaman
I purchased an OEM pump but I can definitely check to see. This is very strange.

Fun Times

Staff member
I purchased an OEM pump but I can definitely check to see. This is very strange.
Unfortunately some of the OEM pumps have been known to be defective from new more than once.:( In this case ignore my signature line below and try a Sierra Marine, Airtex, or Carter.

Search online for marine mechanical fuel pump or search your OEM part number in here, Marine Fuel Pumps - Mechanical & Electrical - iboats.com

Fun Times

Staff member

ThndrSki

Seaman
After changing the oil and the rusty leaking filter, I filled the fuel/water separator all the way to the top and shot a couple squirts of gas into each of the 4 barrels of the carb and voila. It started up and ran fine for a long time on the hose. I guess the system was so dry it wasn't able to prime itself the first time.

Thanks for the double checks, I don't believe it's possible to put the mechanical fuel pump on there and miss the rod, so I didn't even check that. I'm using the OEM so maybe I'll report back in several years how it's doing. Thanks for the double checks and the feedback, I just wanted to post a resolution to this problem.

NHGuy

Captain
Thank you very much for reporting your solution. So many folks never report back.
On those ones I wonder if there was a resolution or if they gave up, or solved their problem a few steps later.

ThndrSki

Seaman
Not a problem, I always like to help my "fellow boater" out when I figure the problem. This was my first time replacing a mechanical fuel pump (I have done quite a few electric ones) and I also replaced the 3 foot fuel hose from the top of the fuel tank check valve to the fuel water separator. I imagine with a completely dry pump this needed some prime, and I'm sure a "dry" fuel pump won't work as well.

Thanks again, these forums are a HUGE resource along with the FSM, but the FSM basically just said "Replace and Torque Bolts"! Ha! :)