88 Capri Restoration (Splashed 08/2022)

The Force power

Commander
I must tell this story....
My next door neighbor whom I've only talked to briefly a handful of times brought my Walmart order over because they delivered to the wrong address 🤔
We got to talking and come to find out he has many OMC setups that he currently owns.
My youngest daughter lives 20 minutes North of me and low and behold there is a guy on the same street that has a horde of OMC items and still services them! Who would have known!
I also found out that my neighbor behind him had this huge printer and can reproduce the striping and labeling that my boat has, I've talked to him briefly also but of course the subject matter u mentioned is not the opening of a conversation. They are both extremely nice people, just keep to themselves
So in short, all because of a wrong Walmart order I've hit the holy grail!
Amazing how things happen.....
Hence the saying "it's better to have a good neighbor, then a faraway friend"

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Master Chief Petty Officer
Hi everyone,
I hope you are all having a great summer!
I just wanted to give some update since I haven't posted about the completion of my bucket list.
Late last year I started having mobility issues with my right arm (bulging disks) in which I couldn't even lift it, I've been slowly working it back somewhat but have a long way to go yet.
I haven't touched the boat this year and unfortunately won't get it in the water. I've decided to work on accumulating parts to rebuild my upper and lower units since I'll have time.
I do have the parts to rebuild the distributor which a friend of my mine will rebuild so that should fix the long troubling idle issue.
If all goes well I'm going to put my son-in-law to work installing carpet (we'll see how that goes).
Unless a miracle happens that's the plan for now.

What I'm really waiting for are some splashes so I can pass the torch to the next happy boater!

Reserector_

Chief Petty Officer" & 2021 Splash of the Year Win
Sorry to hear that you are struggling. But I am glad to hear that you are still advancing the project.
Mine is ready to use, but the heat lately had been brutal, so I will wait for the temps to drop a bit.
I admit that I have not been reading up on the projects in this forum like I used to. But surely someone will splash a project this year. Right?

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Sorry to hear that you are struggling. But I am glad to hear that you are still advancing the project.
Mine is ready to use, but the heat lately had been brutal, so I will wait for the temps to drop a bit.
I admit that I have not been reading up on the projects in this forum like I used to. But surely someone will splash a project this year. Right?
I certainly hope that the (nobody) candidate doesn't come back this year! 🙃

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Hello everyone,
I hope the boating season has been enjoyable.
I just wanted to update that the rebuilt distributor fixed my erratic, rich idle issue. I hadn't run it since August of last year and she started right up.
The plans I had on my itinerary are progressing slower than planned but progress is progress 😊
I know replacing the tank check valve was a great help with starting.

todhunter

Canoeist
It was a good season for us, Jim. We got out almost every weekend from April - September. I had a rocky start with 3 break downs requiring a rescue, but adding the fuel pressure regulator has made my boat run like a top. Glad to hears yours is running better!

Reserector_

Chief Petty Officer" & 2021 Splash of the Year Win
I got out once before the heat got bad. So many 100° days this summer. BUT, she's running great, and I have two more props to experiment with. Planning to run right on through November. Hoping to get a few more outings in before the long three weeks of winter hit.

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

I'm working on cleaning the lower case, I found a source that I can seemingly get a full new gearset at an excellent price. I'll have to inquire after the holidays.
I found a guy that has tons of 2.3 stuff, I'm looking to pick up 2 complete units from pulley to prop in addition to what I already picked up. I will be able to definitely have a spare and try to sell the rest.
The drive has been the thorn in my side, I'd love to repower but it's time to finish this 😊
This is when I really wish I had a bigger garage!
Yes I'm really feeling like a hoarder, but when owning a 2.3 you have to be 😉

Attachments

• 20231210_141833.jpg
    20231210_141833.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20231210_142333.jpg
    20231210_142333.jpg
  • 20231210_142343.jpg
    20231210_142343.jpg
Last edited:

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Hi everyone,
It's been quite sometime for an update, but I have news that should put some of the issues I've had with the drive train to rest.
I was fortunate to find a perfectly running engine and drive for extremely little money.
I did the typical prestart procedure due to it sitting for many years, this engine has never been opened up. It still has the valve cover gasket to the pan.
It runs awesome and plan on doing maintenance to it before I install it, the drive is in excellent condition also.
I am getting neck surgery in a few months so I plan on having her in the water prior to it with pictures of the award.
Along with getting the drive train installed I also hope to have her polished with the carpet finally installed.

88 Capri (2022 SOTY)

Picture of both. For some reason the video of it running doesn't have a thumbnail but you can hear it running.

Attachments

• 20240428_134723.mp4
    228.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Messenger_creation_e5c9ca0e-884f-4851-940d-ce7920562cc0.jpg
    Messenger_creation_e5c9ca0e-884f-4851-940d-ce7920562cc0.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 4