86 Rinker V190 rehab and convert to dive boat

Davetowz

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was fully intending to do a day by day on this build, but time got away, She is in the water and has earned a name..The E.N.D (Erie Night Diver). The guys with me on her maiden voyage came up with it and it stuck. I got a good deal on her, she was a lil soft in the floor.. we all know what that really probably means and it did. She started on first try and was in pretty good shape. The project is far from over and I will try to detail some of the parts of the build that are different than most. I found a lot of helpful info cruising this forum when I was rebuilding and feel I should share this and maybe benefit someone else. The story will unfold, but it will take a while, between work and getting the boat ready for this years adventures. Don't look here if you are wanting ideas for pretty boats, she is kinda odd looking, but it works well. Spartan interior means more dive gear can be carried :) She handles weather well and is very diveable. I am always open to suggestions and ideas, let me know what you have. I learned alot about glass work on this project and know now what I needed to know when I started, but that is how it works I guess. The budget is small and a lot of parts and materials are repurposed or salvaged.

This is how she looked at the beginning. Off the trailer and getting her first of many pressure washer baths.

Pretty much how she looks today.

kramerpage

Chief Petty Officer
Welcome Dave. I am familiar with that boat as far as I have walleye fished off Sandusky on Erie in one that a friend owned. For me, repairing soft wood and doing fiberglass work is very labor consuming and expensive. But. I'm a newbie. So I had to change my perspective and look at it as a hobby and enjoy the challenges. Otherwise I would have given up early in the game. Best of luck to you. Try to recruit some of your buddies that will enjoy it with you for help if you can.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
You have a very seaworthy boat there. I just sold my '87 V190 last summer. Looks exactly the same as your '86 did before you converted her.