83 Johnson 9.9 slipping

Arronh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello. I have a 83 Johnson 9.9. Seems to be slipping out of forward gear. I plan on taking apart the lower unit. Before I do so, I figured id ask if there are any likely issues that are going on and what may have caused the issues. Gear oil was good at the beginning of the year. Haven’t checked it this summer yet because that involves dragging the thing out of the water and hauling it to the shop.

Any guess on what i will find and how to prevent/fix the issue?

Thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Does it rev up smoothly ( boat staying the same speed ) when the slipping occurs ?----Or does it jerk / feel like you hit something with the motor.

Arronh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Last week it was jerking like I hit something. I figured I wasn’t engaging the shift level all the way.

Then today, the motor kept revving higher but it stayed the same speed. So, I limped all the way home at a very slow pace.

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
Possibly, when the impeller was last changed the person re-connecting the shift rod, before pushing the lower unit back up, might have not have allowed the groove of the shift rod to fully get below the connecting screw. If you get to the point of dropping the lower unit, take a close look at that connection before you undo it.

iggyw1

Master Chief Petty Officer
Could be a stripped hub on the prop. You can check this by scribing a mark on the hub then check it after going out on the lake to see if the mark is exactly where you put it or did it move? If it move, try a different prop.

Arronh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Propeller looks fine.

Gear oil looks fine.

I Loosened the lower unit. The shift linkage was attached properly.

I removed the lower unit, and when I shift with my hand, it shifts into reverse and neutral fine. When I shift into forward, the shifter doesn’t travel as far and it doesn’t seem to engage the detent. However, it does go into forward gear.

any thoughts or recommendations?

Arronh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I made my last post before I saw iggw1’s post. Since I already have the motor and lower unit removed from the boat, should I just remove the prop and check it out

Arronh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
AF498351-50C8-439F-827D-CFD4070F4CD5.jpegLooks like the rubber part is in way worse condition that when I put the prop on, and the bronze colored part on the inside can move in and out a bit. I’ll try a new prop. Didn’t even know this could be an issue. Does this website sell props.

Arronh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Also, would a bad prop cause the jerking issue as well as the same speed issue that racer one described above? I’m wondering if I might have two issues or it’s just the prop

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Prop looks to be junk.----The very reason I asked to explain how motor behaved in post #2

Arronh

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks. I’ll order one up. Out of curiosity, what’s happening with the prop to make it feel like the motor hit something?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If it feels like you hit something it would indicate the clutch dog is worn and it is jumping out of gear !

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Or the forward gear itself is worn and it’s jumping out of gear