73 Eska 4.5 wont get WOT

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Chassis # 217-59463 Tecumseh # T-642-15A serial # 3E-118771 Brand Ted Williams 4.5 hp

Wouldn't start last year, cleaned points, set timing and cleaned carb. Also fixed hole in float.

Used it couple times last fall and this year. Boat is a 10 ft tinny.

Years ago I could get this on plane and go quite fast. Now it's slower and can't get WOT rpms. Starts and runs good at idle through full throttle, just slow and low rpm.

Is it just I'm 25 lbs heavier (170) and a bigger battery for the fish finder,trolling motor ?

Did I mess up on the timing?

Plug has slight light tan coating.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Weight can be critical in a small boat !! The tan plug would indicate a lean condition, normally more of a chocolate/ dark gray is better. Time for a carb overhaul?

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Would I be right to assume a restricted main jet?
Lacking WOT rpms, tan coating on plug, maybe a bit hot at full throttle.

Gas mix 32:1 air cool oil.

airshot

Rear Admiral
That will get cleaned out on the carb rebuild...is it 32-1 or 24-1 oil mix ?

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
32:1
All my literature says that or 1/4 pint per gallon. Also have a similar vintage chainsaw and Clinton J9-1000 that uses same ratio.
ICRC, years ago I used 24:1 water cooled oil in this one. Can't remember for sure, as it sat for many years when I was suffering from 2 footitis.

I'll let you know how the carb rebuild turns out. I'll also re-check the timing while the shrouds are off.

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The carb didn't seem to bad, the idle jet and the low air mix needle were a bit whacked.
I think the timing is the bigger issue. I must have measured btdc and atdc wrong last time.
The impeller was also disintegrated. When the new one gets here I'll try it out and let you know if it's running better.

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
32:1
All my literature says that or 1/4 pint per gallon. Also have a similar vintage chainsaw and Clinton J9-1000 that uses same ratio.
ICRC, years ago I used 24:1 water cooled oil in this one. Can't remember for sure, as it sat for many years when I was suffering from 2 footitis.

I'll let you know how the carb rebuild turns out. I'll also re-check the timing while the shrouds are off.
My bad!
I read the literature closer.
74' and later is 32:1
My 73 is the only 4.5 hp to use 24:1

salvageyard saviour

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got it on the lake yesterday to catch a bluegill dinner.

Seemed to run better. Still not like I remember. If I sit a little bit more to the middle she almost gets on plane. Next time out I'll set the trim in a little bit.

More than likely it's my older extra weight than when I was a younger man.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Small boat, small motor....a small change in weight can make a big difference !! Also remember, your motor isn't as young as it used to be either....lol...