7 hp Chrysler clockwise or counterclockwise

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just inherited what I believe is a 1969 7 hp Chrysler. I've cleaned up the carb, replaced fuel lines, etc.

The recoil starter was fouled up when I got it. Pulling the cord, it appears to want to turn the power head counter clockwise to start it. Is this correct???? Doesn't seem right to me with all the OMC and Merc engines I've piddled with.....or has it been so long ago that they turn counter clockwise as well??????

eurolarva

Rear Admiral
Re: 7 hp Chrysler clockwise or counterclockwise

My 45 from that year spins clock wise. Can you tell by looking at the propeller?

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I'm sure I could, but If I guess wrong, it will mess up the impeller wont it? I'ts only a year old (impeller), but not a big deal as I could replace it.
Makes me wonder if someone attempted to rig something up with the recoil with OMC parts.
The way it is, it would engage the flywheel and turn it counter clockwise.

Anybody got any ideas??

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Its clockwise......99% sure, but is there a source for the Chrysler recoil gear rather than the OMC gear that's on it???

Or....should I tie a rope on to it and throw it overboard?

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Excellent! Anchor it is.

shep65

Cadet

My 3.6hp is clockwise.

If you take the recoil unit off, and just turn the engine very slightly to see which way the prop starts to go the impeller will probably be OK. Just enough to "twitch" it.

Shep