7.5 Gamefisher Shaft Busted??

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I replaced the impeller to cool down the exhaust tube and put it back together. Now the powerhead won't turn the shaft.
I took it back out and can run the prop by hand and can feel the resistance of the new impeller.
I put it back up in the power head and nothing happens shifing from neutral to forward.
Did I bust the shaft in the powerhead by simply taking the shaft out of it?

If I didn't know better, I'd think I didn't get the shaft up INTO the power head. Theres not much room for it to go anywhere else but up into the power head.
Anybody have any ideas??????

I don't know, maybe I'll tie a rope on it and use it as an anchor.

M

mrcrabs

Re: 7.5 Gamefisher Shaft Busted??

I have had this same experience, what happens is the shaft Will give just enough to go to the side of the clutch instead of in the clutch.....look for a witness mark on the shaft,
what you want to do is have the unit upside down, put the water tube into its little hole down there on there beside the clutch, then grease the shaft splines so it don't freeze in there and gently guide the shaft down to the clutch,
you will end up with about a 1/2 to play with between the foot and column, this where you take your little finger and guide the water tube into the pump and presto! she all falls together.

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the reply. I've been away for a while.

I'll give it a whirl.
I cant figure out how the shaft misses the clutch on the powerhead with little or no where else it can go. I've taken it apart and put it back together 3 or 4times and still haven't managed to get it together right. Burns my butt to have get the better of me.
I've replaced 30+ impellers on omc's and merc's with no problem.
Different critters these Gamefishers are.

Tom @ Buzzard Bluff

Petty Officer 1st Class

mrcrabs has it right. I had one bite me this week and I've done several before.
Be aware that while you can't see driveshaft and clutch you CAN see the water tube by peering thru the exhaust outlet with the aid of a flashlight. By doing that and the use of a piece of stiff wire with a hook bent into the end I was finally able to persuade the water tube to go in the right place.