69 and up 25hp - a good choice ?

Ironhorse2022

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone. I’m working to narrow my search for the perfect engine for my 56 aerocraft front steer / control alum boat. It weights about 180 lbs and it Won’t be used for trolling - just zipping from lake to lake (in a chain) and slow evening strolls around the lake. I’ve zero’s in on the 69-70 Evinrude 25 standard shaft with electric start as my preferred motor so far. It’s the max power in the smaller / lighter frame motor and I like the appearance / styling as it reminds me of my early years around boats with my dad. Other than the fact I can’t find any 😑 are there any inherent things I should be aware of / concerned about ? One question is whether it’s prone To low end durability issues being the highest power motor available on the smaller frame. I imagine doing an 18 on this frame would be better in this regard. Any input positive or negative much appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• D53953F4-ADD6-4E18-AD2C-46D5F7C6D9B1.png
    D53953F4-ADD6-4E18-AD2C-46D5F7C6D9B1.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 5

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
You're looking for a 55 year old motor that was designed to last 15?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
They are good motors. Lower unit is the weak spot on them. Either get it for a good price or test drive it

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They are a top notch motor.----Many around in my area.----With 2 of them listed in my area at $60 each as is.----Very durable motors.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
With all the smaller oldys (maybe limited to 20 or so ) I have refurbished from early 50 to late 60s what I found was is all of them ran good and never had to dump one.

I actually never had to crack one open to do pistons .rings etc...
Just lucky I guess

I think all these engine were well designed and the major problem is negligence/poor maintenace ....

in short , lack of basic TLC kills them more than design and grossely underestimated "expected" life spans.

F_R

Supreme Mariner
"69 and up" covers a lot of territory, with some important changes. My take is '69 & '70 are fine motors. '71 & '72 got more emission control and did not run as well at idle speeds. But you mention "zipping" as priority, so you should be happy. '73 got the Low-Tension magneto, OK, but mis-understood and despised by some. Jumping forward to '77, you get modern Mag-CD ignition and the 35hp powerhead with the previous 25hp lower unit. And changed styling.

Might add that '84 35hp is a fine motor that will run circles around the older 25hps. But beware of pre-'84 35 hps that had cooling problems.

So what is important to you?

Ironhorse2022

Seaman Apprentice
Excellent feedback (most of it 😏) - thanks. In a lot of respects I’d rather have one of these motors than the newer, more complicated ones. For one thing, I can work on them - they were built with service in mind. Also, they have a minimum amount of electronics on board which I’m my books is a good thing. Thanks for the highlights by year, exactly what I was looking for. Wish I had two of for sale for 60 around me !!

McGR

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I had a '69 Johnson 25hp on my first boat. Great motor! When taken care of properly, they'll probably outlive most of us here.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Visit----mapleleafchapter---aomci------The 2 are listed there in " as is , fair condition " .----Located in Toronto, Ontario.------Phone # is there for contact.-----In general the 1969 and later , 22 cubic inch is just an excellent motor and you have indicated that you are aware of that.-----If those 2 motors were 10 minutes from me I would have them already !

Last edited:

Ironhorse2022

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks everyone. I’ve tried to get into AOMCI several times but it keeps telling to enable cookies. They are enabled ! Got frustrated and gave up. I guess now I have a good reason to try again.