'67 Holiday 18' - Make it Usable

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Primered it yesterday.
Painted it today.
I mixed Rustoleum Oil-Based Marine Blue with Green. - I'm off on the color quite a bit, but it's just a fishing boat.
Majic says 8oz to 128oz (1:16)
That's 1oz to 16oz.
I used 1oz of hardener to 12oz.
It gave me one thin coat. Hopefully it'll be hard enough by Thursday to go fishing. I'll dig back into it around the end of June

Attachments

• PXL_20240504_162047387.jpg
    PXL_20240504_162047387.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • PXL_20240505_001858474.jpg
    PXL_20240505_001858474.jpg
    909.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Don't know about too small.........but a 23 yro Chinese tire is a ticking time bomb
So after doing research, I'm on to what you are talking about. I went out and measured and the biggest wheel that will fit under the fender is 12". It appears to get out of a Chinese brand tire, you need to get up to a 14". 14" won't even barely fit under the fender.

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Took her out this weekend. 6 hours and not a drop came out of the drain hole when I pulled the plug.

Paint on the floor hardened up good.
I bought a heavy duty large carpet outdoor floor mat - around 60 inches wide by 78 inches long. Perfect width and covers most the floor front to back. This way I can keep doing portions of floor repair at a time and it isn't such a huge project. The gelcoat floor is failing, but the plywood is still really nice.
The goal as I mentioned at the outset is to keep the boat usable. Kind of what they call in the classic car forums, a rolling restoration.

Attachments

• onyx-trafficmaster-commercial-floor-mats-6088519075x66-64_600.jpg
    onyx-trafficmaster-commercial-floor-mats-6088519075x66-64_600.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just like with my classic truck project, I have multiple ideas all going at the same time for my boat.
I've been trying to figure out how to go to larger wheels and more available not Chinese tire. I've looked at drop axles but I see I have a lot of space between the frame and the axle to where if I went to a 26" tall tire from a 20" tall tire, I'd only raise the frame 3". I think I can easily move the the springs to the outside or inside of the frame and drop the frame back down that 3".

Attachments

• PXL_20240505_230316863~2.jpg
    PXL_20240505_230316863~2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
I was in the same dilemma when I was putting new tires on my boat trailer. I ended up cutting off the old metal fender wells and leaving the suspension alone. New metal fenders were not that expensive and I can fully box the tire in now so it doesnt get dirt/debris on my boat as I drive. Still just need to get them welded on... Is that an option for you?

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
I was in the same dilemma when I was putting new tires on my boat trailer. I ended up cutting off the old metal fender wells and leaving the suspension alone. New metal fenders were not that expensive and I can fully box the tire in now so it doesnt get dirt/debris on my boat as I drive. Still just need to get them welded on... Is that an option for you?
You know what?! I think I'll try that first and see how the 3" higher feels. I like how low things are now for the boat ramp, but maybe 3" higher won't be that big a difference.
Thanks

Sharpie223

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'd recommend looking into Carlisle tires. I don't THINK they're chinese, but regardless they're usually reviewed well. They make some radials and are one of the few companies I've seen to rate small tires for freeway speeds.

That said, I would try to fit as big a tire as you can in this case. Bigger tires = lower rpm for the same speed = easier on the wheel bearings. It looks like you have room to raise the fender, don't know how easy that is on your trailer.

matt167

Captain
I'd recommend looking into Carlisle tires. I don't THINK they're chinese, but regardless they're usually reviewed well. They make some radials and are one of the few companies I've seen to rate small tires for freeway speeds.

That said, I would try to fit as big a tire as you can in this case. Bigger tires = lower rpm for the same speed = easier on the wheel bearings. It looks like you have room to raise the fender, don't know how easy that is on your trailer.
Carlisle tires have been owned by Carlstar group for some time now and are no longer a USA tire brand. They had a few lines of USA made tires remaining but not anymore.

Handful of companies make the small floater type trailer tires. Kenda and Maxis are the ones to buy unless a USA trail is still available

Berdink

Petty Officer 1st Class
Carlisle tires have been owned by Carlstar group for some time now and are no longer a USA tire brand. They had a few lines of USA made tires remaining but not anymore.

Handful of companies make the small floater type trailer tires. Kenda and Maxis are the ones to buy unless a USA trail is still available
Thanks again for this post.
I researched Kenda and things appear good about them.
I ordered a set and they look really nice. And I can't find anything on them about China like on my current carlisle sport trail tires.