50 amp braker

tttiger652

Cadet
I have a 2003 volvo penta 5.0 started engine this morning then shut off, tried starting it again but no electrical power to anything, no lights, radio, no nothing, no start, no outdrive. Lift. The oil beeper would sound but as soon as I tried to start the engine the 50 amp breaker would pop , even when I tried to lift the out drive by itself. Thinking of replacing the breaker. Battery fully charged.

alldodge

Staff member
Welcome
With the breaker popping it's more likely the the starter is the issue but things need to be tested.

Can try to jump the starter at the solenoid. If it cranks then it's most likely the breaker, but be ready for smoke if the starter is shorted

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Normally a 50A breaker (600watts) is not enough to fuse a starter. They can easily pull 200A on a 5.0L motor in normal operation. Starters are therefore usually not fused.

I would trace the breaker wire and see where it goes. Power Trim and slave solenoid, plus the balance of the dashboard stuff will likely be powered by that fuse. Of those, only the PTT system will normally pull close to that much power. If it is not the PTT system, look for burnt spots (and smell) under the dash and in the bilge, and the associated bare wire short.

tttiger652

Cadet
I replaced the 50 amp breaker and everything operated even the outdrive raised, but the starter, must be going to ground, all it does is click then breaker pops off again,

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, that implies that the starter solenoid is shorting, I would think, as starters are not usually fused. MerCruiser's have a slave starter solenoid. that would be a culprit, if you have one. Not sure you motor has one.

alldodge

Staff member
The starter solenoid and slave relay power comes after the 50A

tttiger652

Cadet
Gee, that implies that the starter solenoid is shorting, I would think, as starters are not usually fused. MerCruiser's have a slave starter solenoid. that would be a culprit, if you have one. Not sure you motor has one.
My solenoid is mounted on the starter like a GM, engine is a Volo penta Serria, MerCruisers are ford's, they have a separate solenoid mounted some where else

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
MerCruisers have not used Ford engine in a very long time. They use either native blocks or GM blocks. A lot of the MerCruiser's blocks have a solenoid on the starter, plus a slave solenoid mounted on the lock or manifold.

BTW, I am just trying to help you find your short... Not many items would survive after drawing 50A of power.

tttiger652

Cadet
The starter solenoid and slave relay power comes after the 50A

MerCruisers have not used Ford engine in a very long time. They use either native blocks or GM blocks. A lot of the MerCruiser's blocks have a solenoid on the starter, plus a slave solenoid mounted on the lock or manifold.

BTW, I am just trying to help you find your short... Not many items would survive after drawing 50A of power.
Ok, thanks for the info, your right, which manifold, intake or exhaust. What is the lock that your speaking of, I don’t have a schematic drawing on the electrical circuit, may have to go to a boat shop to get one. I will be heading that way today anyway. Ordered a starter button to jump start starter, should be in today, I have lots of time to try to figure this out, thanks for you patience.

tttiger652

Cadet
Thanks for the pic
Ok, but starter button on and solenoid clicks, and something you can hear it hit the flywheel, but. Don’t spin the engine. I pulled the spark plugs out also, I can turn the engine by hand , a little tough with the power steering pulley . I would think that the starter should be spinning right before it hits the flywheel.

tttiger652

Cadet
Ok, but starter button on and solenoid clicks, and something you can hear it hit the flywheel, but. Don’t spin the engine. I pulled the spark plugs out also, I can turn the engine by hand , a little tough with the power steering pulley . I would think that the starter should be spinning right before it hits the flywheel. Starter solenoid not energizing

alldodge

Staff member
What might be happening is your hearing the relay click but the relay is ot providing power to the starter solenoid

Need a voltmeter to find out if the starter solenoid is actually getting 12V when key is turned to start

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If that 5.0L motor is a small block chevy, it often has a starter that has s solenoid that when actuated, pushes the starter gear into the flywheel ring gear. Until the gear is engaged, the starter does not spin. Specifically, when the starter solenoid is energized, it magnetizes and pulls a plunger down a tube, pushing the gear into the starter.

I have seen starter solenoids that jam in the tube holding the plunger. When that happens, you get a click from the starter solenoid, but nothing else.

dubs283

Vice Admiral
Ok, but starter button on and solenoid clicks, and something you can hear it hit the flywheel, but. Don’t spin the engine

Did you try this starter button applied directly to the primary post of the starter solenoid (the solenoid attached to the starter)?

If so, the starter has failed and needs replaced

Otherwise follow dodge's advice from post #15 and measure voltage at the primary post on the starter solenoid when attempting to turn the engine over

tttiger652

Cadet
If that 5.0L motor is a small block chevy, it often has a starter that has s solenoid that when actuated, pushes the starter gear into the flywheel ring gear. Until the gear is engaged, the starter does not spin. Specifically, when the starter solenoid is energized, it magnetizes and pulls a plunger down a tube, pushing the gear into the starter.

I have seen starter solenoids that jam in the tube holding the plunger. When that happens, you get a click from the starter solenoid, but nothing else.
Ok thanks for the info

tttiger652

Cadet
Did you try this starter button applied directly to the primary post of the starter solenoid (the solenoid attached to the starter)?

If so, the starter has failed and needs replaced

Otherwise follow dodge's advice from post #15 and measure voltage at the primary post on the starter solenoid when attempting to turn the engine over
Ok thanks will try that.

tttiger652

Cadet
I want to thank Chris and alldodge for the help, I pulled the positive battery cable off after checking the voltage and the head flew off, replaced cable and all is good, now I want to replace my temperature sensors. I have one that goes to the gauge and one that sets of the alarm when it overheats and would like to know at what temperature it goes off. Do you guy know where I can purchase them and the stock number, thank again. Ps: I have a
GS205SF model boat, 5.0 ,2003