5.7 Overheating

Darcher99

Cadet
Is there a power steering cooler

is it coming out the prop and or the transom shield ? Have you got the intake hose on right side of thermosta
There is a power steering cooler, yes. It's coming from the prop, I'll check to see about the transom shield. The intake hose is on the right side of the thermostat housing.

flashback

Captain
The impeller can break up and clog the cooler and other areas. Please don't nickel and dime the new motor you just invested in.

Darcher99

Cadet
So, I just realized something weird but I think it answers my question. When it's trimmed down, I over heat. When it's trimmed up...it stats at or below 170 degrees. I am presuming that the tube is getting pinched or something. Thoughts?

Bondo

Staff member
So, I just realized something weird but I think it answers my question. When it's trimmed down, I over heat. When it's trimmed up...it stats at or below 170 degrees. I am presuming that the tube is getting pinched or something. Thoughts?
Ayuh,...... Start with post #20,.......

Darcher99

Cadet
Got it. Just ordered the impeller kit. Will rebuild and make sure everything is lined up when I put it back on. Thanks guys! I’ll update when I’m done.

flashback

Captain
Good start, hope it solves the problem. We still don't know the age of your exhaust system. Manifold and elbows have a service limit..

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Are you in fresh water or salt? If in salt the manifolds & elbows are way past due.

Darcher99

Cadet
I’m on fresh water. The guy that had it before me says he was only in fresh water too. I don’t know that for a fact tho.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
There is a power steering cooler, yes. It's coming from the prop, I'll check to see about the transom shield. The intake hose is on the right side of the thermostat housing.
I’m on fresh water. The guy that had it before me says he was only in fresh water too. I don’t know that for a fact tho.
Still a little strange that you aren’t getting water out t stat…but you are from prop ?

Drcoffee

Petty Officer 1st Class
Just to add my two cents, but if the temp is registering on the guage, you must have water up at the thermostat To transfer the heat and register it on the gauge. So it overheats at idle which means the water flow is weak. Like others said, change the raw water pump impeller and recheck flow at the steering cooler.

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
THE impeller is a poor material .. many replace 2 years , replacing it ..in todays world ...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Remove drive
Back flush PS cooler
Hook hose directly to thermostat housing
Verify engine is cooling
Replace raw water pump

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Should also mention that some muffs just don’t do a good job of it at all. Best to have really tight fitting ones. Always found that some work and some either don’t or struggle. Anything that isn’t extremely snug fitting is a waste of time.

stresspoint

Ensign
im gue3ssing you did not glue the O ring in place between the outdrive and the bell housing and it feel out during assembly.
take the outdrive off and use contact adhesive on the O ring so as it stays in place this time .

Darcher99

Cadet
Still a little strange that you aren’t getting water out t stat…but you are from prop ?
Yes. I’m still getting water out of the prop. I just changed the impeller. Hooked it all back up. Same issue. The tube from impeller housing seems a little janky. Is there a better idea for that. Seems like a bad design. I can honestly say, I don’t know for sure that the tube got connected.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Yes. I’m still getting water out of the prop. I just changed the impeller. Hooked it all back up. Same issue. The tube from impeller housing seems a little janky. Is there a better idea for that. Seems like a bad design. I can honestly say, I don’t know for sure that the tube got connected.
I’m thinking the same. Did you use a full kit or just the impeller itself? Sorry to ask, but was the impeller secured and was there a woodruff key present ?
I’d take that hose off the power steering cooler and see if you’re getting water, if all the above is well.

Darcher99

Cadet
I’m thinking the same. Did you use a full kit or just the impeller itself? Sorry to ask, but was the impeller secured and was there a woodruff key present ?
I’d take that hose off the power steering cooler and see if you’re getting water, if all the above is well
Used the entire kit. Yes, the key was in place. I will check the hose next.