4bbl 350 intake question

petermarcus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a decent handle on spread vs square carbs, and primary and secondary bores, but the intake manifold interfaces throw me. Might be a dumb question, but for a 4bbl spread, what’s the difference between the opening for each of the four bores vs the two open ovals? I assume there are pros and cons for each? Thanks…

Attachments

• IMG_0367.jpeg
    IMG_0367.jpeg
    877.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0368.jpeg
    IMG_0368.jpeg
    391.6 KB · Views: 8

ROY WILLIAMS

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a decent handle on spread vs square carbs, and primary and secondary bores, but the intake manifold interfaces throw me. Might be a dumb question, but for a 4bbl spread, what’s the difference between the opening for each of the four bores vs the two open ovals? I assume there are pros and cons for each? Thanks…
SO CORRODED A MESS !!!!! DAMAGED IT ....
MY CARB IS 1978 AND TODAYS ... NO CORRODED ...... THE OCTOBER EVERY YEAR CARB TAKE IT OFF THE TOP CARB ... CLEANING IT ,,, AND THE MMO OIL DID THE CLOTH ......ALSO THE TB THROTTLE SPRAY ...

Scott06

Vice Admiral
I don’t think there is much difference except the first photo has a universal mounting it can take spread or square bore carbs. There are two sets of threaded holes for mounting the different pattern carbs. One on the right looks like a std GM set up for quadrajet carb only. A square bore like holley or edlebrock wont fit it .

they are both dual plane intakes, and while plenum volume can affect performance in a low rise intake like this won’t make much difference

petermarcus

Petty Officer 2nd Class
These were just pics from the internet, I’m looking to get a new intake soon and I keep seeing these different cutout shapes. Thanks for the info