25 hp. carb problems

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
OK, so I buy and resurect an old 1969 25 hp. Johnson. I put in a new impeller, change the plugs, decarb, etc.

She runs great at idle in a barrel so I decide to boat test her. She won't run at WOT, so I close the choke plate and she'll come up and run great. If I close the choke plate with the choke knob, I don't get the same results.....for whatever reason.....which is really weird, why?

OK...........so I pull the carb apart and soak the lower half in carb cleaner overnight since it has high speed issues, but runs great at idle. I cant get the high speed nozzel to unscrew from the upper half of carb body without fear of buggering it up bad or breaking it so I left it in and didn't mess with the upper half of the carb.
The lower half of the carb didn't look bad at all and appeared to be pretty clean, other than a tiny bit of gunk in the high speed orifice plug and it wasn't much at all. The weird thing I noted in my carb cleaning was that on the high speed nozzel there wasn't a gasket on it like I've seen on other carbs I've cleaned up.
I didn't invest in a carb kit, so I just put it back together after cleaning it and blowing it dry with compressed air.
Got it out on the lake today, and it ended up being the same crap different day with no change, and no WOT. It will idle down to little or nothing, but she still won't produce the RPM's unless I close the choke manualy with my finger on the lever and not with the knob??!!!??

Can missing a gasket on the high speed nosel interfere with WOT?

I've cleaned up some gum and varnished carbs before and they've run great afterwards.....did I forget something?

Yepblaze

Lieutenant Commander
Re: 25 hp. carb problems

Does that have an adjustable high speed knob?

If so, the screw inside the knob can be loosened so as to facilitate enrichment past it's present range.

Woodstock60

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need to totally rebuild carb, I would do both needles and has to have gaskets.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Carb may not be completely clean. Soaking in carb cleaner and compressed air to blow it out will do the trick. Repeat a couple of times if necessary.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

So, you are sure it is a 1969? The nozzle gasket is one with the float bowl gasket on that model. One thing for certain, you can't leave parts out and expect it to run. Also, the high speed orifice plug in the float bowl has to be absolutely, positively CLEAN. Even a hint of any gum or varnish in it will keep it from running at WOT.

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks much for the replies.

It is indeed a 1969 model 25R69B

No high speed knob on it.

For it to run at WOT you have to starve it for air, so I believe I have something plugged off, I just can't figure out what!!!??!!!

Isn't the lower half of the carb responsible for high speed??? The high speed nozzel for sure isn't/cant be clogged. I soaked the lower part of the carb for 24 plus hours in carb cleaner and blew out everything with compressed air......kinda burns my butt I cant seem to figure it out.

When you throttle it up, it seems like it's going to come up and plane out and then it bogs down.......
The fuel pump was replaced with the smaller square fuel pump, could it be that it's the wrong fuel pump and it's not getting enough fuel from the fuel pump??? I doubt that this is it, but could it be??? Can not having a gasket on the high speed nozzel cause this??

tashasdaddy

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

the high speed jet is deep behind the carb drain plug. the jet is clogged or partially clogged, or the pick up tubes from the top of the carb. also ethanol will eat your fuel lines. read this. ethanol, carb cleaning, carb adjusting. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=299680

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Any suggestions if the high speed orifice plug is cheddered (by someone else) too much to get it out????

outlaw241

Petty Officer 2nd Class

the problem could be the nozel gasket is missing,without the nozel gasket it will suck air an not fuel above the float level in the carb. my 70hp had nozel gaskets booggerd up an it would idle fine but bog at higher rpm i changed the nozel gaskets an it runs like new i hope this helps

F_R

Supreme Mariner

the problem could be the nozel gasket is missing,without the nozel gasket it will suck air an not fuel above the float level in the carb. my 70hp had nozel gaskets booggerd up an it would idle fine but bog at higher rpm i changed the nozel gaskets an it runs like new i hope this helps

outlaw nailed it. If the gasket is missing, it will suck air through the gap instead of sucking fuel through the high speed orifice in the bowl. The gasket is above the fuel level. In other words, you are trying to run on all air and no fuel. Only in your dreams.

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

This site is awesome as are the people here helping others out.......THANK YOU!!!

I kinda like the idea of running on air rather than fuel....imagine how fuel efficient the little 25 horse would be.

Lesson learned, no shortcuts and it sounds like its time pick up a carb kit.

I still have a question about the high speed orifice. How do you get one out when it is cheddared (more than likely by someone with a regular screw driver) up pretty bad? I have the correct tool for it, but it doesn't have enough bite to even start it.

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here's another quandry.

So I go online to buy a carb kit for the 1969 25 Johnson and the illustration's on every website I've looked at doesn't show the high speed nozzle nor a gasket. The 1969 through 1972's are basically the same outboard, so I'm hoping it will work, but the gasket that appears in the illustrations for the 1970, 71 and 72 model's don't appear to be the right one for my carb.......at least just looking at it in the illustrations I've seen from a dozen different marine dealers.

The carb I have does indeed, in every way, look like the correct one for that year of motor other than some minor things........like the high speed nozzle and some linkage.

Any suggestions or am I making too big a deal about it???

EN2

Chief Petty Officer

Go to www.shopevinrude.com. click on electronic parts catalogue. Your model shows bowl gasket, nozzle gasket one in the same.

F_R

Supreme Mariner

Go to www.shopevinrude.com. click on electronic parts catalogue. Your model shows bowl gasket, nozzle gasket one in the same.

That's true. However, I do sort of remember seeing them as separate parts somewhere in the past. Don't worry about it, get the one piece gasket and be done with it.