242 Cruiser water under cabin floor

rckmowery

Seaman Apprentice
I’ve got a 1998 242 cruiser and I’m having the same problem a lot of other owners are having with this model. I’ve read several old threads but in order to get an answer from another owner though I would start a new thread. The water is under the cabin floor by the shower box area. I can’t figure out where it’s coming from. I don’t have my water system on and don’t have a/c so it has to be another problem. Any other owners experiencing the same problem please chime in.

rckmowery

Seaman Apprentice
I’ve used the shower so there’s no water from the drain into the shower box

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Check the plumbing. May have a cracked thru-hull or something

Plastic plumbing lasts a maximum of 15 years, usually issues arise after 5

tpenfield

Staff member
Leaks can be tough to find. It might be best to post some pictures for further input. Googling does come up with some hits for your and similar Monterey boats. However, many cabin boats have these types of problems. Boats don't seem to have 'common problems' . . . they tend to be more random in nature.

Things to think about . . .
  • Did the water recently accumulate or has it been there for a while?
  • Could water be coming in from the bathroom port light (window) and going down the sidewall of the hull?
  • Has the rubrail separated from the hull in that area allowing water to get in through the hull/deck joint?
  • Any thru-hull fittings in the area that are deteriorated?
Keep in mind that water could enter the boat in a different area and travel to a low point in the hull.