2013 Mazda 2 wheel bearing

matt167

Captain
Just bought a 2013 Mazda 2 to save miles on my truck and gas. It needs a front wheel bearing. I know it’s press in and not a bolt in. Has anyone used a FWD bearing puller? I have a shop press but I moved and it’s not with me yet. Debating taking it to a shop I trust. I got the car cheap enough

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
not sure on the Mazda 2. However I do know that the RX7 front wheel bearings were near impossible to get the old bearings out without taking a die grinder and removing part of the inner lip to get a punch behind them. (forum tip from masdaspeed forum).

Just googled 2013 mazda 2 front wheel bearings. looks like a bolt on hub from the picture.

matt167

Captain
I thought so too but I watched a video and its pressed. Like an old Subaru the bearing usually comes with a new hub

fitboyawesome

Recruit
Just bought a 2013 Mazda 2 to save miles on my truck and gas. It needs a front wheel bearing. I know it’s press in and not a bolt in. Has anyone used a FWD bearing puller? I have a shop press but I moved and it’s not with me yet. Debating taking it to a shop I trust. I got the car cheap enough
Dealing with a front wheel bearing issue can be a bit tricky, especially when it's a press-in type rather than a bolt-in. Using a FWD bearing puller might be an option, but it depends on your comfort level and experience with such tools. Since you have a shop press but it's not available right now due to the move, it's a bit of a dilemma.

Considering you got the car at a good price, taking it to a trusted shop might be a wise choice. They can ensure the proper repair is done without any hassle. It's understandable to want to weigh the options, especially when it comes to something as important as the car's performance and safety. Whatever you decide, I hope the repair process goes smoothly and your Mazda 2 serves you well in your mileage and gas-saving efforts.

dolluper

Captain
Should be a circlip retainer on that bearing also... If my memory serves me right the bearing has a magnetic strip on it ...it has to be installed facing ABS sensor
Or l'm just losing it..lol

matt167

Captain
I had a shop that I know from my work do the bearings and brakes for me while it was apart. He had me get the parts and he charged $200. I could have done it but I’m not setup yet. He told me the ball joint on the driver side was bad so I bought both left and right control arm assemblies. I put the driver side in, then realized the passenger side control arm assembly is pretty recent. I would have changed it still but my impact wrench wouldn’t loosen the a arm bolts. Someone’s impact wrench had too many Ugga Duggas. I’ll resume changing it when I have one of my breaker bars handy. But for now there’s nothing wrong with it. Probably will have the allignment checked too.