2008 Tohatsu 6hp not running water through engine

spitz351

Cadet
I noticed that my engine was not spitting water like it usually does today when I left the dock. I promptly returned before damage could be done. What is usually the cause of this, Bad impeller or water pump? Is this a repair that can be done by replacing a part or needs to be done by a shop?

pvanv

Admiral
Re: 2008 Tohatsu 6hp not running water through engine

Probably a clogged telltale tube. Push a stiff wire or monofilament into it while the motor is running, and the debris will likely flush out.

spitz351

Cadet

I tried that to no avail. Is there a way of testing the water pump or impeller?

Probably a clogged telltale tube. Push a stiff wire or monofilament into it while the motor is running, and the debris will likely flush out.

pvanv

Admiral

If you have shop air, you can carefully blow a blast of air into the telltale to clear it while the motor is running. No, there is no way to test the wp, aside from determining whether you have visible flow (and of course if the motor is overheating). The MFS 4/5/6 is thru-hub exhaust, so except for the telltale, you will not see the cooling water discharge, because it is flowing out with the exhuast inside the prop hub. FWIW, even in the cold, clear, fresh water of the Great Lakes here, we change wp kits about every 3 years.

Did the telltale just stop flowing one day? Usually you would notice some deterioration of the flow before it just stops.

Dropping the LU on that model (to access the water pump) is not difficult. 2 LU bolts, and the shift linkage. Reassembly does require a certain "feel" and dexterity.