2006 Tohatsu 4 HP No Reverse

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Good Afternoon,

I have a 2006 Tohatsu 4 hp 4 stroke. I had to replace the 3 lower unit gears, bearings and seals after the prop hit a rock.

I just wrapped up the rebuild but now I have a new problem. I have no reverse.

I disconnected the shift linkage from the selector lever on the motor at the mid section, and operated the shift rod movements with a pair of vice grips. All the way down which should be reverse is neutral. Forward is fine. No reverse. Motor running during tests.

This is not a linkage adjustment issue that I can tell, as I unhooked the linkage and same problem remains. I have disassembled the lower unit 6 times and re-assembled and no change. I cannot find the issue.

Any comments would be appreciated, thanks so much.

pvanv

Admiral
Model MFS4A2? If you lower the cam rod all the way, the push rod should engage reverse. If not, did you reassemble correctly? Is the spring holder installed in the prop shaft? Is the cam pointed in the correct direction?

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi Paul,

That is correct, MFS4A2.

I looked at a parts diagram and just confirmed that all parts have been installed including the spring holder you referenced.

When I just pulled the prop shaft out just now, the cam on the push rod is pointed the correct way as well.

It did seem that I had a bearing driven too deep in the bore, #13 on the prop shaft diagram and it was allowing play in the gear #14 C

I pulled the bearing and reset it, now I have forward and reverse. No neutral. I manipulate the shaft by hand and cannot find it. It is either forward or reverse.

pvanv

Admiral
No. The bearings go all the way in and seat at the bottom of the bore.

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When it is at bottom of bore there is shaft play on the gear (it slides about an 1/8" which appeared to be why I did not have reverse? I will disassemble again today... not sure what is going on here. Thank you for the time

CascoBay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It seems like the clutch push rod is too short. This makes me wonder if I have the spring retainer on the wrong side of the spring pin.

Can you confirm that the spring retainer goes on the spring side of the spring pin? Or does is actually go in with the clutch push rod after the spring pin is installed?

EDIT- I see from another post someone else here did the same thing I did. The spring retainer goes on the clutch push rod side. Spring retainer is a poor term because it doesn't retain a spring in this position it is merely a spacer.

Parts diagrams are not clear either.

Thanks

Last edited: