2005 Volvo penta gxi-e

Jrato14

Cadet
Hello,
I am hoping to find some advice. I bought a boat and tested it before the winter but now the ignition fuse burns out the second I turn on the key. I disconnected the fuel pumps which did not help and the kill switch seems to work correctly. Looking for advice any help would be greatly appreciated

Jrato14

Cadet
Hi I boat a boat in the fall with these engines I test ran it then for a min with no issues but now the fuel pump won’t run and I realized I am continually blowing out the ignition fuse the instant I turn the key on. I am also replay battery charger which I assume wouldn’t matter for this. The engine will still crank without issue but no fuel pump. When I disconnected the fuel pumps the fuse continues to blow. Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_5135.png
    IMG_5135.png
    4.8 MB · Views: 2

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
unless its been modified the fuel pump are powered by the alt thru diodes

Jrato14

Cadet
Ok so the fuel pump has nothing to do with it… like i said as soon as the key turns on that fuse blows. The engine will crank but I don’t believe I hear the fuel pump

Jrato14

Cadet
Will do I just replaced all the guages so maybe it is something to do with that

dubs283

Vice Admiral
I just replaced all the guages so maybe it is something to do with that

Thats definitely the first place to check

Can isolate the boat and engine by disconnecting the 10 pin/cannon plug at the motor

Jrato14

Cadet
So far everything looks like it is supposed to be without signs of damage to the wires. I will try to disconnect 10 pin

Jrato14

Cadet
Hi again thank you so much for the continued help. When I disconnected the 10 pin the fuse didn’t blow when I turn the key. Not sure what that means

dubs283

Vice Admiral
When I disconnected the 10 pin the fuse didn’t blow when I turn the key.

Most likely a short to ground in the ignition circuit somewhere in the engine harness

You haven't mentioned using an ohm meter to check for a short. Using the blown fuse method you've isolated the issue to the engine harness. A dvm along with a visual inspection will help greatly in locating the short

Sometimes a severe overheat can lead to melted wires/short circuits, fyi

ripjmk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If it ran fine last year and all you have done is added new gauges the it is likely you inadvertently wired a gauge wrong and introduced a short to ground.
However, your fuel pumps are controlled by the MEFI4 ecu not the alternator. As you may or may not have discovered, there is not a wiring diagram for the 5.0 GXi-E., but the one for the GXi-C is the closest to what is installed ( your datalink connector will have extra and different wires in it). I have attached a copy of the GXi-C one. I hope it helps

Attachments

• wiringdiag.pdf
    601.7 KB · Views: 4

Jrato14

Cadet
Hi thank u for everyone’s help so I think I found it as all have stated it is the ignition coil but I can’t find a part number. It is hard to find on the schematic because it is round with a spark plug on top and it seems like the module is on the schematic but not this one