2003 4.3 TBI Alpha 1 more than one problem?

harleyman1975

Ensign
At the lake this past weekend another guys boat was having issues. First problem was alarm beeping twice Beep Beep approx. every minute. Second problem was it would die if shifted into gear (it would die sometimes in neutral too come to think of it). Third problem and possibly related to first problem it would overheat when he was finally able to get it to stay running in gear and try to get on plane. Things I noticed looking at it from the dock 1. there was a ground wire (12-14 gauge with eye) just loose. I suggested that it be attached to a ground but they said "no it has always been loose", second I said that the water pump is suspect and recommended changing it, 3rd I recommended they not keep trying to run it with it overheating as it would burn up exhaust shutters. I was told that it had new cables installed. I suggested that they may be adjusted improperly causing it to die. Saw the boat pulled and their plan is to bring back to servicing dealer I think. Funny how everything seemed to happen all at once. He was wondering if beeping was related to it not staying running?

thumpar

Admiral
The beeps could be the IAC. That would also cause problems with running at low RPMs. The overheat it probably an old impeller or clogged system.

Fun Times

Staff member
Depending on engine RPM and air type sounds, the dying could be either or 'or a combination of both as being misadjusted shift cables and throttle cable. If dying mainly during shifting, then shift cables are most suspected but if the engine still dies while just idling (no throttle handle movement) then while it could still be just a shift cable issue affecting the shift-cut-out-switch even at idle due to vibration, it could also be a misadjusted throttle cable which could be affecting the Throttle position sensor and/or the Idle air control valve....And depending on exact engine model as there was some major transitions going on around 2003 it could affect the warning horn with any of the things mentioned.

Overheating has an affect on engines dying at idle speeds too which affects the warning horn as well.

Sort of reminds me of what this recent member found wrong on the shift cable plate,5.7 EFI shuts fuel off right after start

And yes, Mercruiser did sometimes leave some extra unused wires including black grounds with eyelet terminals unconnected....It just depends on what ones and where. If still questionable due to recent service work, Have a close look at the eyelet terminal to see if you can tell if there was ever something such as a bolt or nut was ever mounted to it at one time as the end of the eyelet terminal may have a compromised look to it.

Last edited:

harleyman1975

Ensign
I will make sure to post results of what was found. I know boat was taken back to servicing dealer on Monday. I like you guys am leaning toward the dying problem being related to the new cables (IAC is a possibility though for certain) and overheat most likely being a separate issue of bad impeller...I will post more when their boat comes back from shop.