2002 Yamaha 60hp 2 Stroke Oil Injection System Wiring Delete - Australian Model.

JF60

Recruit
Hi guys,
Just joined iBoats and had a search around, but couldn't find info on what I'm chasing (hope I'm not ploughing old ground here so please let me know if I'm doing anything wrong).

I have an AU 2002 Yamaha 60 HP 2 stroke outboard, and have had annoying intermittent problems with the low oil alarm going off & forcing the engine into limp mode. After much internet and YouTube searching, and speaking to various local outboard mechanics, I've almost finished disabling/bypassing the oil injection system & plan to run on premixed fuel. Had no problems with the mechanical side of things which was easy enough, but the only thing I'm not sure about, is what to do with the wiring that's left over after removing the oil level gauge assembly.
From the oil level gauge assembly, there is a green wire and a green with red striped wire that runs to a plug, a single pink wire that runs to a single connector, and there is a single black wire connected to a ground point.
Yamaha wiring color code info on the internet says the green with red striped wire is the "OIL WARNING LIGHT GROUND THROUGH SW3 IN MAIN TANK OIL SENSOR TO TACHOMETER" The pink wire is the "OIL SIGNAL GROUND" But it's unclear what the other plain green wire is for (not sure if this goes to the tacho as well)
So my question is: What do I need to do with the remaining green wire, green with red striped wire and pink wire now that the oil level gauge assembly has been unplugged and removed, to prevent the alarm from continually sounding ??

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
Wish you had come here before deleting the oil injection system.

boscoe99

Lieutenant Commander
After you have perused the data above for a bit of time, let me know what you think should be done.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
It's a shame. I hate to see it happen.
I think if anything and if I was crossing the t’s…I’d just mix a little oil in the fuel at a tiny ratio, just in case. But I think that system is known for being very good really. One of the few I’d trust perhaps. More important would be to just check over the oil lines and fittings often I’d think.
The opposite can be said about the bloody big merc v6 2 strokes from way back. Bloody learned that lesson the hard way as a youngster. The two I’ve had since and one I still have now, were bypassed very promptly ! My first one (the one the lesson was learned on) decades ago (a 200 black max from about 86/87 maybe), oil pump failed the usual way, at the silly drive shaft. It ended up failing in a big way, to include one of the con rods deciding it didn’t like being confined to inside the engine. It threw itself out the side of the block almost entirely at around 65mph ! Anyway. On these wee yams, I’d leave it alone and just a little dose as a precaution perhaps.

JF60

Recruit
Admiral,
Thanks for the insight with your experiences with 2 stroke Merc's, sounds like you didn't waste any time bypassing those after the catastrophic failure of that con rod.
The Yamaha 2 stroke oil injection systems may well be very good as you say, but the system on my outboard has caused grief on 2 occasions now, and after speaking to several old local boaty's, they paint a very different picture which resulted in the removal of my oil injection system. So I'll be using premix fuel from now on.
People I've talked to can tell me the basic general steps in the hardware removal process, now completed (1 or 2 reasonable clips on YouTube as well), but so far no one can tell me how to deal with the left over wiring.

Lieutenant,
Thankyou for the valued feedback, much appreciated. You seem to be leaning towards keeping the oil injection system, but the horse has already bolted on that one I'm afraid. You appear to have a complete workshop manual on my Yamaha outboard, going by the screenshots you've posted. Is this something you've found on line?
When I can get some time to study the WD's I'll endeavor to try and figure out where you're trying to lead me. :unsure:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you guys sound like you're well and truly retired by the sound of it, and have many years boating experience under your belts (a luxury I don't yet have, still working for a living).
I on the other hand, am happy to admit that I don't have your experience, and have only owned the my 20+ year old boat for less than 12 months hence the reason I joined this forum.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Admiral,
Thanks for the insight with your experiences with 2 stroke Merc's, sounds like you didn't waste any time bypassing those after the catastrophic failure of that con rod.
The Yamaha 2 stroke oil injection systems may well be very good as you say, but the system on my outboard has caused grief on 2 occasions now, and after speaking to several old local boaty's, they paint a very different picture which resulted in the removal of my oil injection system. So I'll be using premix fuel from now on.
People I've talked to can tell me the basic general steps in the hardware removal process, now completed (1 or 2 reasonable clips on YouTube as well), but so far no one can tell me how to deal with the left over wiring.

Lieutenant,
Thankyou for the valued feedback, much appreciated. You seem to be leaning towards keeping the oil injection system, but the horse has already bolted on that one I'm afraid. You appear to have a complete workshop manual on my Yamaha outboard, going by the screenshots you've posted. Is this something you've found on line?
When I can get some time to study the WD's I'll endeavor to try and figure out where you're trying to lead me. :unsure:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you guys sound like you're well and truly retired by the sound of it, and have many years boating experience under your belts (a luxury I don't yet have, still working for a living).
I on the other hand, am happy to admit that I don't have your experience, and have only owned the my 20+ year old boat for less than 12 months hence the reason I joined this forum.
Wish I was retired ! Not yet though.
Admittedly, I have only had a brief encounter with owning a Yamaha with oil injection personally. Was an old v4 115. But any other of the similar engines I’ve had with it, I took a bit of a short cut with the bypass. All I did was leave most of it in place really. So I left oil in the tank so it didn’t alarm and as an extra measure, I cable tied the float in their up position. I may even have just looped out the oil lines too, on one engine I’m sure.
Others I removed the drive shaft from and uses a block off kit, specially designed for the job. That may have been one of the Yamaha jet skis I had. Can’t remember.
But if you’ve gone beyond any of that and have loose wires. I suppose you just need to think about what they actually do and how they do it. So the alarm for low oil is just a float switch. Making a contact or not making one…to complete or break a circuit’s continuity. Just need to rig it to suit and fool, if they are still connected elsewhere. Someone will know better than I, but I’m aware that some marine Yamaha systems have an alarm for flow or restriction of it. Almost sure you probably don’t though. You’ll likely know if you do.
But basically you need to link the wires out or leave the system in a state that it is fooled to think all is well.