2001 Regal 2100LSR info

mnmfors

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello everyone,<br /><br />I am really close to buying a 2001 Regal 2100LSR with 4.3 Volvo/Penta. It only has 35 hours on it, according to the dash digital hourmeter. The condition of the boat is excellent. I hope to go for the test run this week.<br /><br />Can anyone tell me the HP rating on this model? The salesman is really an idiot. He origanally told me it was a V-8, so I am not going to trust anyting he says. <br /><br />Also, it is a v-hull, with steps? It has a stamp on it that says fast-trac. Can anyone tell me how this hull works, and if it is better?

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Re: 2001 Regal 2100LSR info

I don't have personal experience with this boat, here is what I found though:<br /><br />According to NADA, the default engine for that model was a 190 hp engine. It could have another engine in it though.<br /><br />From the photos that I have looked at, it is a clear v-hull in the front with the usual FasTrac stepped hull in the back. Regal claims these hulls do well with gas mileage at planing speeds. You can see a video of the FasTrac hull on the regalboats.com web site.

mnmfors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks for the quick reply bayman.<br /><br />If anyone is interested, I did the test drive today. I am learning that stern drives handle sugnificantly different than outboards. I really like the boat. A little slower out of the hole than my bass boat, but so much more stable. We are going to go ahead and get it. We should have it by this weekend.

brine

Petty Officer 1st Class

The fasttrack hull is great under almost all conditions. I have it on my 2500 lsr. They are really good for getting that extra few mph out of a fixed hp. What drive does it come with?

mnmfors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

hey Brine, It is a Volvo/penta. What do you think of them? <br /><br />We took it out this weekend. It does pretty good as long as it isn't loaded down. We had about 1300 lbs of people and the 40 gal of gas prevented me from getting on a plane. We cut the load of people in half and it planes out slowly but once on a plane, it goes almost 50 (speedo, not GPS) and only turning about 3k rpm. Recomended WOT is around 4200, found this info on a sticker on the motor. I noticed it came with a 14.5 X 23" prop on it. I think this is the problem. What do you guys think, 19" or 21"? When we got back, I tried to remove the prop to see if my Mercury props would fit the Volvo outdrive, and it won't slide off. I removed the locking pin,nut, and washer. I didn't want to tap on it and ruin anything. This is my first stern drive, Any suggestions? <br /><br />I really need to get a manual. It came with owner's manual, but not the operater's manual. I want to change all lubes, find all grease fittings, etc. I just want to start a good maintenance program. <br /><br />Also, the trailer was not original, and it is going to need some work. It is an EZ Loader, tandem axle, torsion suspension, surge brakes, with rollers. The back crossmember is rusted through. It is the type that dips down in the middle. Might be a little expensive to replace. Two rollers already had to be replaced and all the rollers need the washers and pins replaced. I was thinking of converting the trailer to wooden bunks, but I am concerned about the shape of hull.<br /><br />Thanks in advance for any help.

brine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Volvo makes a great drive, mine is a merc.<br />It should plane much easier than you suggest. Is that not a dual prop drive? <br /><br />The trailer repairs sound simple enough but the fact that the the boat wouldn't plane scares me. You are on track by getting a hold of a manual and seeing what prop it should have. You might need a prop puller to remove the 23. Most marinas will let you try both props and decide which one is best for your load. <br /><br />Why was it changed in the first place? Salt or fresh boat? Well priced? Need to tow it lots? :)

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

My 1998 2100 LSR would not plane easily with a large load and a 5.0 V8 Mercruiser carb engine when I was running a 23" 3 blade aluminum prop. It had a 1.78: drive, if memory serves. It would top out around 55-56 on the speedometer with that prop. <br /><br />I put a 20" 4 blade SS prop on it and the time to plane dropped to <3 seconds with a light load, the boat would plane easily with any legal load, the top speed went up a smidge, and the boat was an absolute rocket in the midrange, 30-50. Check into 4 blade SS props for your boat, I think you'll be pleased.<br /><br /><br />If your boat is nearing 50 on the speedo at 3000 RPM, the tach is likely the problem. There is no way you'd see nearly 50 MPH at 3000 RPM and a 23" prop unless it has a 1.25:1 ratio or so, which I'd find hard to believe.

mnmfors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

brine: <br /><br />The drive is single prop. <br /><br />I was told this boat was dry docked just about all it's life. It only has 35 hours on it. I think it was just a prop they had to put on it. <br /><br />We got it for 18.5K. I run in brachish, so salt water, as for the other 35 hours, I am just to assume salt. <br /><br />Towing: I have to trailer it wherever I go, as we don't live on the water. We are planing a trip to the keys, so I need to get the trailer in good shape.<br /><br />Mischeif Managed:<br /><br />Yes, I agree on the 50 mph-3000, I thought it could be the speedo. It stops working intermitantly. Felt like 40+ riding in it if I had to guess. I could be wrong on the RPM's, but the motor didn't sound like it was running out all the way.<br /><br /><br />Thanks for the info on the prop. I guess 20" is a good place to start. I do have a 4-Blade SS prop from a Merc 225 offshore. It has a removeable hub. I wonder if I could just order a different hub for it. It is a 15 x 19. <br /><br />Thanks again for the help.

bayman

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Bring a GPS with you to double check the speed. Getting the right prop should help a ton. Check out the prop forum right here on iboats as well if you need help fine tuning the prop. Good luck and let us know how it goes!

ronwc

Recruit

I just bought a 2100 LSR also. I've only had it our once but was very happy with the speed and handeling - it has a 14 1/4 x 21 prop. It's a 98 so it needs a little touching up, but fsirly low hours and got a good deal. The one thing I'm missing is the owners manual - can someone make a copy for me or tell me where to buy one -<br /><br />Thanks, Ron - ronwc@hotmail.com

brine

Petty Officer 1st Class

Welcome to the forums Ron. <br /><br />Since Regals are the best boats they are also the best company to deal with. E-mail them and they will probably have a copy laying around. :) :cool: :) :cool: :)

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Originally posted by ronwc:<br /> I just bought a 2100 LSR also. I've only had it our once but was very happy with the speed and handeling - it has a 14 1/4 x 21 prop. It's a 98 so it needs a little touching up, but fsirly low hours and got a good deal. The one thing I'm missing is the owners manual - can someone make a copy for me or tell me where to buy one -<br /><br />Thanks, Ron - ronwc@hotmail.com
I bought an owner's manual from Regal. Not a lot of information for the money, mostly just standard operating procedure for any boat. You'd be better of spending the money on "Chapman Piloting: Seamanship and Boat Handling".<br /><br /><br />Chapmans should be in every boat owner's library and will contain everything you'll need to know to operate your 2100, except specific details about maintaining your engine and drive (which is not covered in the Regal manual either...)For engine and drive maintenance, buy a factory service manual or one from Seloc, Clymer's etc. for wiring, you only need to know that Regal uses the standard boat wiring colors for their harness. Nothing unusual about it at all.<br /><br />If you wish to see what a Regal Owner's manual looks like, you can download some (but not the one you want, of course...) here: http://rasta.onlinestoragesolution.com/Regal/ <br /><br />I loved my 1998 2100. It is a great boat and it's new owner is just as pleased as I was with it. We only replced it so we'd have the ability to sleep on our boat.

mnmfors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, if anyone is interested, I bought a 15 x 19 stainless 3 blade on here on iboats. Apollo with vent holes. <br /><br />It is doing alot better, I can plane out with just about any load (full tank, every seat full), but it is slow out of the hole. Speedo says 55 with about half a tank and two adults. (49 GPS) I am running about 3400 rpms at WOT. I dropped from a 23" to a 19". Unless I am mistaken, I thought the rule of thumb is about 300 rpms per inch. I am going to have to get it re-pitched to a 17". My target is 4200-4600. I hope I can get there with only 2" change. I kind of doubt it, $300 mistake I guess. :(

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

There's now way a 4.3 running at 3400 RPM is going to push your boat at 49 MPH GPS. It does not make enough power at that RPM to do so. That's the top speed you'd expect at closer to 4600-5000 RPM with a stainless prop. The tach has got to be reading incorrectly<br /><br />If your tach thinks it's connected to a V8, it would read 3400 RPM when the V6 was turning at 4533 RPM. I bet the tach has a switch on the back that is set to "8 cylinder". Just a thought.

mnmfors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Mischief, That makes perfect sense, I will try to find the switch. I will check the rpms up against an old dwell meter/volt meter/tachaometer. If I am at 4533, that would be right. I wonder why it would be set at 8 cyl? Maybe that idiot salesman. He also works on boats there. Scary, huh?

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

Mebbe the boat was sold with a V8 originally and repowered with a V6. Would neatly explain the low hours, salesman confusion and tach error...<br /><br />If it is indeed running at 4533 RPM WOT, I bet the boat would be faster with a 17" SS prop running 4800 RPM. Would be quicker out of the hole too.

mnmfors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

That is a good thought, but I believe the registration shows a V-6, I will check. This 4.3 is the GL model, the sticker on the exhaust manifold shows the GL WOT at 4200-4600. (if memory serves me right.) I wonder if it would be alright at 4800?<br /><br />The thing is is that it is hard to get up on a plane with a full load. (about 8-10 seconds) (3-5 seconds with a light load.) To me the motor does not sound like it is running all the way out. It pulls a skier and tube fine with about 4-5 people in the boat. I have to remember I am stepping out of a bass boat, which jumps right out of the water. This is my first stern drive. I noticed I can't trim it out the same. Maybe this is the way it is meant to be? I would really have to ride in a similar regal that's set up right to know for sure. <br /><br />I will check the tach and registration tonight and post results tomorrow.

Mischief Managed

Lieutenant Commander

4.3 has the same bore and stroke as a 5.7 and I'm pretty sure the 5.7 can run to 4800 RPM. Since max RPM is a function of stroke, it seems they should both have the same max RPM. Maybe VP rates their Max RPM differently than Mercruiser. Same engine though. 8 to 10 seconds with a full load is kind of expected with a 4.3 pushing a 21 foot boat. At least it will plane. I think a 17" prop would still be a better choice. Or perhaps an 18" 4 blade...

mnmfors

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, I checked for a switch on the tach, but found none. <br /><br />My motor is the VP 4.3 GL, it lists two others with max rpm of 4800. I noticed I have a 2 bbl. carb, maybe the others have 4 bbl's.<br /><br />My old Dwell/tach/voltmeter doesnt work, so I couldn't check out my tach yet. I will post the results when I find the equipment.