2001 190XL Depth Gauge

98Ultrasport

Cadet
Recently acquired a PRISTINE 2001 190XL. The dash panel has a blank for what I assume is a depth gauge. I would like to add one and as such, have seen several videos of 190XL's with depth gauges but no apparent transducer on the transom. Does anyone know if Stingray used a glued on transducer and if so, where it was mounted?

Thanks for any help you might offer.

Steve

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if they offered a thru-hull, it would have been glued in the bilge. however without the gauge, they would not have spent the money on a transducer

even if there was one, it wouldnt match todays gauges. the technology appears to be changing about every 2-3 years

so if you want a depth gauge, buy one with the matching transducer

then determine if you want a transom mount, thru-hull or shoot-thru

98Ultrasport

Cadet
Scott,
Thanks for the reply. I wasn't expecting that there would be a transducer already installed. I was just wondering if they prepped the hull for a shoot thru or how they had done it since the similar boats I have seen do not seem to have a transducer mounted to the transom. Guess I'm trying to not drill any holes if I don't have to. I do plan to prrchase a gauge with transducer.
Thanks!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
If you glue in a shoot thru, don't use fast cure epoxy, you get bubbles.

I get the waxed cardboard bowls, apply a bit more wax to the inside and tape down to the hull to make a coffer dam for the epoxy to bed the transducer

Get the transducer that matches hull angle

98Ultrasport

Cadet
Great info, thanks! From what I've read, I will need to sand a smooth spot glue the transducer. Do they work as well as a transom mounted one or is a transom mounted still the best bet?

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Thru hull is best. That requires a hole (diameter of sensor) drilled in bottom of hull

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Transom mount is good, however easy to bump and you have sealing to consider

Shoot thru is a compromise

98Ultrasport

Cadet
About what I would have expected. I just hate putting holes in something like that but it may be inevitable.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Your boat made it 23 years without a depth gauge

98Ultrasport

Cadet
True but it was rarely used and on different waters. The lake I'm on is not very deep, actually a river and since this will be used for skiing, I'd like to be sure of enough water under her.

sd

Scott Danforth

Staff member
True but it was rarely used and on different waters. The lake I'm on is not very deep, actually a river and since this will be used for skiing, I'd like to be sure of enough water under her.

sd
Problem is when skiing, by the time the alarm goes off for depth, you are usually shining the prop.