2-Stroke Intermittent Bogging During Break-In (25:1 oil mix)

SeaBisket

Seaman Apprentice
Update: friend's outboard mechanic buddy swept it. He replaced two coils and power pack.

I ran it five plus hours, no issues. Performance is like waaaaay better than this motor ever was, in every regard. The two coils were on the starboard side.

I got the spark gap tester but didn't do it because I stopped running it when it over heated. That would have shown it, right?

I asked him about the overheat, after he changed parts, but before I got to run it.. "you think that fixes the overheat?". He said the overheat was like false flag.

Crazy but ya, I don't know. Trying to understand how shitty ignition made head temp rise, but not now, after the coil and power pack replacement?

I ran through all types of RPM ranges and durations and couldn't get bog or get high temps.

Thanks again for everything, all.

RBoyd1971

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Try checking the temp right after shutting it off instead of while running. I noticed that if I hit it with the IR gun while idling, I'd get false numbers. Remember it reads from a laser bouncing back and I'm pretty sure that it refracts the laser when shaking and oscillating while running. I've got a really nice one and still experience this. Also try putting a couple of pieces of black electrical tape on the block where you are reading and shoot the tape. It will improve the accuracy. You can Google that to get an understanding why.

SeaBisket

Seaman Apprentice
Ya when I pulled the temps prior, it was done after immediate shutoff, no idle, on black heads. I understand what you're saying about ir stuff and scatter, reflectivity.

Temps are great now. All is great now, after the electrical work. Never getting above the temp that I can't keep my hand on. Prior, it not only read high with ir, threw alarm, but I also couldn't keep fingers on starboard side without burning.

Still trying to understand how nothing but electrical fix changed all that?