1999 VP 5.7 GSi - No Spark

jto41

Recruit
Hello all!

I have a 1999 Hurricane Fundeck with a Volvo Penta 5.7 GSi PWTR.

Last summer while cruising at about 20-25 mph, the boat suddenly shut off as if a kill switch was engaged. I cannot locate a kill switch and to my knowledge, the boat does not have one.

I replaced the distributor cap due to light corrosion and the coil as it looked ready for replacement. I also replaced the ignition module out of precaution. I found one of my negative cables was loose and it caused slight burning on my inboard battery charger and I replaced the terminal.

The engine will start and crank, but I am not getting any spark from the coil. I am getting 13.5 DCV from the purple wire going to the coil when the key is in the ON position. I have looked everywhere for the crank sensor (I found this to be a common issue with these symptoms) but cannot locate it.

I did have some issues with the boat taking a couple of turns on the key to start up so I am not sure if that is related either.

I am at a loss and cannot think of anything else it would be. Any help with this is greatly appreciated!

Fun Times

Staff member
What battery type, battery year, etc. are you running with?
Sort of unusual to see a 13.5 volts at rest (engine off) as more typical to see it in the 12.2 - 12.8ish range...< But not impossible too.

This engine design would use a pickup coil located under the distributor cap rotor as that is where the signal to fire the coil all starts... See item number 7 in your engine model parts catalog, https://www.volvopenta.com/shop/0/part-sections/54160496

Are you sure the ignition key switch is still in good working order since you mentioned possibly issues there...Might be time to by-pass the key switch and try starting the engine to see if it helps get you spark back...

Also make sure the main engine harness connector plug is in good shape and carefully wiggle test it to ensure it's holding a good connection internally.

cyclops222

Petty Officer 2nd Class
My Mercruiser V8 has a Master Large rubber plug & socket connector on top of the engine.. There are several SLOTTED pins in it. Engine would sometimes stop for no reason. i found out that the SPLIT PINS gap had aged to a smaller diameter. causing more & more frequent engine stops. I found if I held the ignition in the STARTER CRANKING POSITION. The engine would run UNTIL i released the key to the run position only. My master mechanic smiled and said " Lets go to the boat. " Turned off the main battery switch. Instantly opened up the that big rubber connector and ..........CAREFULLY spread 3 pins a few thousandths. Never had random stops again. Said the pins lose tension over time. I tipped him $ 50.

Dillusion808

Seaman Apprentice
My 4.3L had the same issue with the rubber plug.

Guess it was exposed to so much heat or whatever it was hard and would actually slide off. Had to crank down on that hose clamp until I was able to replace.

jto41

Recruit
Thank you all for the replies and sorry for not getting back on here sooner.

I usually run off my newest battery (Bass Pro XPS bought last year) which was fully charged this last go round to troubleshoot the issues. I checked the harness and everything appeared to be tight and in working order but I’ll take another look at it.

I think by-passing the ignition switch is my last option before having a mechanic look at it.

I appreciate the feedback!

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I had a similar problem a couple of years back turned out to be the the pickup coil in distributor, cost $45 but a pain as it needs the distributor removing and the pin that holds the gear drifting out.
PS. the continuity can be checked without disassembling.
From the Manual:-
STEP 12:
Disconnect pickup coil leads from ignition module.
Check coil resistance and check for grounds.
IIs pickup coil resistance between 700 -900 ohms?