1999 Chaparral 2130 SS problem

stone0707

Recruit
Hey everyone, I am new here!

I recently acquired a 1999 Chaparral 2130SS in pretty good condition for the most part. I have one strange problem though that I can't quite figure out. It has a Mercruiser 350 in it. I noticed that a previous owner put an Edelbrock AVS2 1906 carburetor on it. The boat idles well, and revs up well. When I took it on the water, everything ran great through most of the power band. Engine sounds good, feels good etc throughout about 80% (approximately) of the throttle lever. Once I push the throttle forward to that very last bit/wide open throttle the engine loses all power output (RPM's), then if I simply throttle back down on the lever....it resumes power as normal. I was not able to get an exact RPM reading when this was occuring exactly, in hindsight I should have. I do not have much experience working on carbureted engines other than small engines and do not know how to diagnose this problem, especially since it has an aftermarket carb on it. According to my engine serial number, this engine came with a Mercury 2 bbl carb from the factory. Doing a visual inspection, I did notice one thing. The previous owner put a micro fuel pump on it that says on it "for 4 or 6 cylinder engines". I looked up the specs and it is rated at 2.5-3 psi. I noticed in the service manual for this engine, it says the fuel pump should be 4-7 psi. I ordered a fuel pump that meets those standards and will be replacing that in a few days. I dont know that the fuel pump issue could just cause a complete loss of power like that, but im not sure maybe the experts can chime in. The distributor cap is red, and could possibly be aftermarket as well. Other than that, everythign looks factory. I also have read some stuff about anti-siphon valves causing this problem. I went to look and am not even sure if this boat has one? I attached some pictures of the only fuel connections I can locate if someone could identify these for me. Lastly, I checked the throttle linkage with the boat off and everything appeared to be moving as it should. I have also changed the spark plugs more for the age of the boat, and they looked pretty normal possibly a tad bit rich if anything at all. I am hoping this isnt a terribly difficult fix and need some assistance. The boat otherwise runs perfectly normal except for that last section of the throttle. Thank yall in advance, hopefully yall can halp me out!

Attachments

• hatch.jpeg
    hatch.jpeg
    178.6 KB · Views: 11
  • tank.jpeg
    tank.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 11

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
I don’t think that’s a marine carb. For your engine it would be an Edelbrock 1409….

stone0707

Recruit
I don’t think that’s a marine carb. For your engine it would be an Edelbrock 1409….
I did notice that myself! I agree, I would prefer a marine rated one on here once I get this issue sorted out. I appreciate it

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... Sounds like you need a proper marine carb, 'n fuel pump,....
And, the fuel pump has to be powered through an oil pressure switch,....

The anti-siphon valve is the hose barb, comin' outa the tank,....

nola mike

Vice Admiral
I did notice that myself! I agree, I would prefer a marine rated one on here once I get this issue sorted out. I appreciate it
No sense in wasting time trying to mess with a carb that may not be tuned right, and that will be replaced anyway.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Plus an auto carb is not safe to use on a boat, that needs to be changed right now…

apw30534

Petty Officer 3rd Class
My Mercruiser 350 in my Chaparral 2330 did not like the smaller CFM carb.
It ran its best on the Marine 750cfm Weber that came on it from the factory.