1998 honda 75 hp completely dead

Tahiti warrior 502

Seaman Apprentice
Hello again, I've have tremendous luck with my boats when asking for help so thank you!!

What I have is a 1998 honda 75 hp on a tritoon. The engine had a knock, However I installed a new long block and hooked everything up that I can see but when I turn the key on nothing happens. I have a brand new batteries. I'm not even sure where to start looking. I was thinking a neutral safety switch maybe? Maybe the dead man switch is bad?? Any help on why I have no power would be great!

Attachments

• 20240420_104510.jpg
    20240420_104510.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 2

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
Start at the starter solenoid. Does it get the 12V signal when you turn the key? If no, the work backwards towards the key. If yes, does it supply 12V to the starter (check the big wire on the starter)? If no, maybe the solenoid is bad. If yes, the starter may be bad.

Tahiti warrior 502

Seaman Apprentice
Start at the starter solenoid. Does it get the 12V signal when you turn the key? If no, the work backwards towards the key. If yes, does it supply 12V to the starter (check the big wire on the starter)? If no, maybe the solenoid is bad. If yes, the starter may be bad.
No signal at the solenoid
Check fuses ?
I found a 30 amp fuse that was bad but still nothing at the starter, looking at the neutral safety switch and starter solenoid noe

Tahiti warrior 502

Seaman Apprentice
Found this laying loose under the hood. Not sure where it goes or what it does. Also looks like the starter solenoid is bad because if I arc across it with a screw driver the motor turns over.

Attachments

• 20240420_144726.jpg
    20240420_144726.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 9

Tahiti warrior 502

Seaman Apprentice
So I have the boat running now, but it's backfiring through the carbs. It idles fine but if I give it any throttle it backfires and tries to die or does die.. I'm trying to upload a video to help

Attachments

• 20240514_174549.mp4
    26.3 MB · Views: 0

MattFL

Master Chief Petty Officer
My first thought is check the cam timing. Check the ignition timing too if it's adjustable. Also check the valve clearances and compression or leak-down test, with the goal being to figure out if any intake valves are leaking. Lastly, you've got it out of the water but in gear and revving pretty high, I wonder if it would behave the same if it was in the water under some load.

A side note: the water stream doesn't seem as strong as I would expect, does it have a good new water pump, and is your hose supply providing enough water?

Tahiti warrior 502

Seaman Apprentice
My first thought is check the cam timing. Check the ignition timing too if it's adjustable. Also check the valve clearances and compression or leak-down test, with the goal being to figure out if any intake valves are leaking. Lastly, you've got it out of the water but in gear and revving pretty high, I wonder if it would behave the same if it was in the water under some load.

A side note: the water stream doesn't seem as strong as I would expect, does it have a good new water pump, and is your hose supply providing enough water?
I'm trying to figure out how to set timing now because it has to be out... it backfires no matter what rpm. I did have it reved up a little to make the backfiring more noticeable for the video!!