1997 115 Turbojet

parrotsummer

Seaman Apprentice
Good morning world of Iboats. I FINALLY registered and titled everything here in Virginia and am legal now. I finished putting everything back together as well. Now I can't keep the engine running for more that a few seconds. If I choke it ten times or use a good amount of starting fluid it will run for a few seconds. The oil in the reservoir was about 3 years old so I dumped it and put in new Quicksilver oil. There was probably 3 gallons of gas in it that was about a year old. I THINK it may have had oil mixed in it too (I purposefully put oil in the tank to run double oil after pulling the heads last year IF I remember right). I added 17.6 gallons of 92 octane 10% ethanol fuel and a 10 ounce bottle of Sta-Bil Marine formula ethanol treatment. When it does run for a few seconds it puts out a VERY large amount of smoke (I assume from the double oil still in the system). Could this be a VRO issue with flooding the engine with oil?
My thought now is to put it in the water so it is under load and just keep starting it and running it for as long as it will go to flush everything through until it is getting only new fuel and oil. Am I just burning up the starter doing this or will it benefit me? If I start it not under a water load it sounds like it overspeeds too easily. Just using the waterhose and attachment for cooling does not put any kind of load on the jet pump.
I'm so close and yet still so far. After 3 years and with us being in the last half of summer I am extra ready to get back on the water. Thanks in advance for all of the input. I wish you all the happiest boating ever!
Robert

parrotsummer

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1997 115 Turbojet

Does anyone know what the pressure is on the cooling water manifold? Mine is leaking AGAIN. I guess I'll have it welded this time but would like to know what pressure to test it at after the repair. Know of anything I need to watch out for by having this thing welded?

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

20psi max. I thought you were gonna get that welded when you had the engine apart? Sounds like the carbs are gunked up and need to be disassembled and cleaned. They will not get clean with the method you are using. Stop using starting fluid it is very hard on a 2 stroke motor.

parrotsummer

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Skeetr. I had one section that broke (PURELY structural) welded last summer and a few days ago I got the crack welded. I repaired that crack 5 years ago with JB Weld which held all this time. If the weather cooperates I'm putting it all back together tomorrow. It did stay started and ran well after about ten starts so I no longer had to use starting fluid.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

Great to hear she is up and ready for a test run. Hope all goes well. I'll check this site a bit more often, let me know if I can be of help.

parrotsummer

Seaman Apprentice

I am curious about something in the maintenance manual. It says to NOT put sealant on the adapter plate when reinstalling it but do put it on the bolts. I can't see how it can possibly be wrong to seal the adapter plate. It requires a gasket so it needs to be sealed. How is insuring a good seal bad or wrong?

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

They say the shiny gaskets go on without sealer. I used sealer on mine as it didn't seem to make sense not to. No problems or leaks.

parrotsummer

Seaman Apprentice

Good morning and thanks Skeetr. I think I'm gonna seal it since I can't see any reason not to. I just found it odd that the book specifically said not too instead of saying you don't have to. I guess I'm easily confused with semantics.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

Yup that's about how I felt as well. But in the case of my block there was some scratches on the metal and areas where slight pitting had ocurred near the exhaust prort. After sanding the adaptor on glass there was still some showing and I didn't want to risk a small leak and a failed seal.
I can understand not using sealer at intake areas that come in contact with gas or that have small ports and channels that could be plugged with sealer.

parrotsummer

Seaman Apprentice

I can understand that too but this has three openings that couldn't be sealed with anything that isn't solid and one hole that you might be able to seal if you made an effort to do so. I'm pretty much a detail oriented and literal person so I found this to be inaccurate. Only one of the mount bolts seems to go through an area that requires a seal. I guess the other nine are sealed for fun.
Oh well. As long as I get back on the water and the boat doesn't fill up with cooling water I'll be happy. I even got one of those laser thermometers the other day so I can keep an eye on head temps.

SKEETR

Chief Petty Officer

In regards to applying sealer to the bolts, it is purely for corrosion resistance and ease of future removal. The bolts are stainless and being low in the bilge the sealer keeps the water/condensation from entering the threads.

parrotsummer

Seaman Apprentice

Keeping corrosion away is a good thing! My boat would probably have lasted forever if it stayed broke and under the cover of my carport forever!