1996 25 hp Johnson 2cyl.

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Two questions.
First one is that I start it up and with the choke (primer valve thingamabob) pushed in, it sucks the fuel line bulb down and dies pretty quickly. If I leave the choke (primer valve thingamabob) pulled out, it will run and doesn't draw down the fuel line bulb much and runs for a long time at idle if it dies at all (way low idle that doesn't seen to respond at all to adjustment).
Diagnosis? I think I have a weak fuel pump or maybe sucking air. Am I right?

The other is that I have the key clip start/clip lanyard disabled. No, I didn't do it and think who ever did, wasn't thinking straight. I cant kill the motor as it doesn't have a kill switch and the key clip has again, been disabled. Any suggestions? It makes me nervous to mess with it if it will make a situation that I can't use the motor without costing me a grundle of money to fix it. I'm only in the motor about $375.

jonesg

Admiral
Re: 1996 Johnson 2cyl.

Re: 1996 Johnson 2cyl.

1996 2 stroke what?

BTW, your tank vent or anti syphon valve at the tank is clogged.
Fix the kill switch too.
Other than that its probably a good runner.
Assuming its an outboard.:p

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 1996 25 hp Johnson 2cyl.

Whoooooops! It is a 25 hp. Johnson. The issue with it idling you think is in the fuel tank?? It very well might be, its an older plastic tank.

How easy is it to fix the safety clip switch? Like I said, I don't want to make the motor inoperable by screwing around with it, nor do I want to pay a huge chunk of change to rebuild it.
The motor, for being as "new" as it is, has been pretty abused. I want to throw it on my duck/goose boat and abuse it some more (well not intentionally but it is pretty hard on em' ;)).