1994 Mercury 60hp Poppit Spring

ELK-BR549

Recruit
I need to order a new poppit spring for the cooling system of my boat motor. It lists two different springs on the parts list. Why is the poppit spring different if the motor will be used on a pontoon boat. 1994 Mercury 60hp two stroke OG070810 serial number range.

I am wanting to understand the reason.

Thank you

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I need to order a new poppit spring for the cooling system of my boat motor. It lists two different springs on the parts list. Why is the poppit spring different if the motor will be used on a pontoon boat. 1994 Mercury 60hp two stroke OG070810 serial number range.

I am wanting to understand the reason.

Thank you
The strength of the spring would determine the pressure which the by-pass would open.

Guessing…. the lower unit for a pontoon is typically geared lower for added thrust. The lower shaft speed would produce less flow and pressure to the cooling system, requiring more or less spring pressure to control

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Not many pontoon boats in my area.----But pontoons are generally slower through the water and may not develop as much water pressure.----Hence the different spring.-----Your local Mercury dealer will likely help you on this.