1994 indmar fi v8 good batt no crank

nwripple

Cadet
Ok heading to a beautiful mountain lake in the middle of nowhere Montana for the Fourth. 1994 master craft PS190 w indmar v8 fuel injected inboard is waiting. Gets professionally winterized every year.

owner who is already there says it will not crank or start.
battery good
blower bilge heater will turn on.
Stereo gauges and ignition do nothing. No click no crank no joy.

Kill switch lanyard is attached and it’s in neutral. He can’t hear fuel pump pressurize but I don’t know if you should be able to on that early an engine?

it ran recently. I’m in Washington so can’t see it yet but am thinking bad starter or coil or fuel pump wouldn’t affect stereo or gauges, right? I’m thinking wiring to or from ignition key switch area or that switch itself may be the culprit?

Any thoughts or ideas? I’ve told you all I know but can get follow up info. Thanks in advance!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
coil, fuel pump, and kill switch have nothing to do with starting/cranking

bad cable connection, bad starting pilot relay, bad starter, gear not in neutral, bad ignition switch can all lead to not cranking

not having gauges/ignition says you have no power to the ignition switch.

there are 5 connection points between the battery and ignition switch on the power side, and there are 4 connection between the batter and the ground buss at the helm. so starting at the battery, make sure you have good connections, then work your way to the starter and block, then thru the harness, checking each connection to the helm

you will find your problem

alldodge

Staff member
Has he tried to move the shift a bit FWD/REV while hold the key to start?

nwripple

Cadet
"not having gauges/ignition says you have no power to the ignition switch."

^^^this is what I am thinking too. I would almost bet that if we can get the radio to work the boat will start. I am not familiar with the engine though ive been on the boat lotsof times. it's always run well...
does anyone know where the ecm/fuse box. any breakers are on a 1994 MC PS190 with the the "normal" engine ? (not sure its indmar after all)
I will try to post a picture. it has the round air filter top center and a distributor cap with wires coming out the top (not sides) behind that. no plastic cover like newer motors.
thanks!

Attachments

• mc motor.png
    mc motor.png
    444.5 KB · Views: 7

nwripple

Cadet
i will ask him to jiggle the shifter while trying but he says its in N and the lanyard is attached; battery strong.
thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Bottom right in your pic is where the engine connector is. Also would think that is where the breaker is.

Don't know if Indmar uses a 90 amp fuse on the starter post, but if it does that might be it. Looks like a cube

Attachments

• 90 amp fuse.jpg
    90 amp fuse.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
There should also be a 20 amp fuse on the Red/Purple wire feeding the key switch. Should have 12V full time, doesn't matter if key is on or off

nwripple

Cadet
There should also be a 20 amp fuse on the Red/Purple wire feeding the key switch. Should have 12V full time, doesn't matter if key is on or off
Thank you - this is great info. heading over tomorrow will post back!
It drives me crazy when there's no conclusion to these threads, I will hopefully wrap this one up for the next guy with the problem. happy 4th!

nwripple

Cadet
So I got here and looked behind the ignition fuse area. Found this. Wire popped out of female spade connector. Touched them, it turned over, gauges worked. Thanks! Happy 4th

ScottinAZ

Senior Chief Petty Officer
So I got here and looked behind the ignition fuse area. Found this. Wire popped out of female spade connector. Touched them, it turned over, gauges worked. Thanks! Happy 4th
simple solutions are the best solutions!!