1993 Carver 280 Express listing to port.

Carver 2850

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all. 1993 280 Express. Boat lists to port about 2-3 inches, I'm pretty sure this isn't normal with no passengers. Galley and head are on port side but seems like it should be more balanced. Hot water heater on stbd side (6 gallons) It doesn't matter if the bilge is completely dry or not. No evidence of moisture in hull any where though I haven't checked with a moisture meter. Everything looks, sounds and feels solid. I would appreciate any thoughts...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
May want to have it surveyed for moisture. Plenty of wood structure in that boat

Carver 2850

Seaman Apprentice
I was afraid I might hear that. I'll check into it. Thanks for the quick response!

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
If excessive moisture isn’t found, I’d suggest you try to re-arrange whatever you can to add weight to the starboard side.
My Silverton had a slight list to port, so we changed around some of the stowage and added 2- group 31 batteries with switches to the port side. Problem solved!

Carver 2850

Seaman Apprentice
If excessive moisture isn’t found, I’d suggest you try to re-arrange whatever you can to add weight to the starboard side.
My Silverton had a slight list to port, so we changed around some of the stowage and added 2- group 31 batteries with switches to the port side. Problem solved!
Thanks. That is something I'm considering as well. I've been looking at some information on surveyor use of moisture meters, it doesn't sound like that is a very reliable science on fiberglass boats either. Given that this isn't a high $ boat I'm not sure that I would spend the money to repair anyway.
A "ballast adjustment" like you did might be coming up.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Carvers of that vintage have lots of wood