1990 Winner 2050CC???

tsnipes

Seaman
A local pawn shop has a center console boat for sale. It says WINNER on the sides and comes with a nice roller trailer and a Johnson 225. Although the boat says WINNER on the sides, when I took a closer look, I could see the outlines of 2050CC. The pawn shop owner says it is a 1990 model. I searched the net for a 1990 Winner 2050CC and found no results.

I have looked at some of the posts here and the boat looks almost identical to the 1850CC models listed here, right down to the wood trim.

Does anyone know if Winner made a 2050CC model in 1990?

I am seriously considering purchasing it but I would like to know more info before committing. The boat appears to be in very good shape but I will have to go back and look a bit closer and find out about the condition of the motor. I will get the info from the data plate and try to get some pics to post as well.

Any information anyone can privide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

pny212

Seaman
Re: 1990 Winner 2050CC???

winner went out of business in 89 and that was there last year of mfg check the transom on the starboard side for the vin if its a winner it would start with wnr i believe
and also the year would be in that vin, if it is a winner it is a great boat as I have had mine for 4 years and it is a pit bull in the water

good luck

Paul

tsnipes

Seaman

I took a few pics of the boat. I also looked at the HIN and the first three letters are WNR. I did not get the entire number, though. I tried to take a pic of the plate but it was white on white so it did not show up.

As mentioned, you can still see where the old graphics were removed and on both sides you can see the outline of 2050CC but I cannot find any information on this model.

Check out the pics and let me know if you think it would be a good purchase or not.

Thanks.
Tim

Attachments

• 100_2547.JPG
    100_2547.JPG
    90.3 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_2546.JPG
    100_2546.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_2538.JPG
    100_2538.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 3
  • 100_2548.JPG
    100_2548.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 2
  • 100_2544.JPG
    100_2544.JPG
    73.7 KB · Views: 2

tsnipes

Seaman

Here are a couple more pics. The last one is the shot where I tried to get the 2050CC outline. Not sure you can make out anything.

Attachments

• 100_2542.JPG
    100_2542.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_2541.JPG
    100_2541.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 1

winner owner

Seaman

It looks like a 1850 which is 18 ft 6 inches from bow to transom approx...
make sure the transom is solid with no rot, if the floor and hull are also solid that is a good boat if
it suits your purpose.Best way to check the motor is in the water...make sure it runs under load.

I have a 1850 for 3 years now and love it...still working out some tweeks though!!

Good luck

tsnipes

Seaman

Thanks. I have looked at the posts from 1850 owners on here and I thought it looked identical to them as well. What has me puzzled is the outline of the 2050CC that remains of the old graphics. If you look really closely at the last picture I posted, you can make it out but it is very light.

I think I will stop by and measure it to see just how long it is.

I will let you know once I find out.

Just curious, what do you think the boat is worth assuming everything checks out with the motor and there is no noticeable rot?

Tim

pny212

Seaman

if all is in turn key (motor runs well 120 + psi compression on ea cylinder, trim and tilt work, all wiring is straight) should be around 4-5k I have seen them go from the mid 2000 rang that need work to 7000 that are in great shape, I paid 2800 for mine four years ago and it needed a lot of work as it is turn key that needs nothing but fuel that I have about 5000 into it without the electronics, I replaced the trim and tilt pump and motor, rebuilt the carbs, stator and trigger, switch boxes and a few coils, the block was done before I got it but the boat sat and the guy had to get rid of it, I was considering selling mine a few time and wont take a nickle under 5 if you look at the pics of mine it is about perfect now, just needs to be used, I can guarantee its an 1850 just looking at it

here is a local post in Florida for a 22 ft
http://orlando.craigslist.org/boa/2152950295.html

is that carpet on the floor with snow ???

it looks like the boat is in fair condition as it is well overpowered if it is a true 225, check the motor numbers to see if its a 150 or a 175 in a 225 wrapper as I have heard the boat with that hp can almost sink the stern if you look at some of the other post that a guy is running a big motor on it

but in my opinion without hering it run but taking the guys word that it does, I would bit about 3000 for it

good luck

Paul

tsnipes

Seaman

Ok, I went back and took a closer look at the boat now that the snow and ice have melted out of it. Yes, Paul, that is carpet in the boat.

I got some information from the console data plate. The boat was made by Winner Boat Company in Dickson, TN and the model is listed as a 2050 Marathon. I thought this was odd because the only thing I could find on the 2050 Marathon was for dual console (dc) models. I found one post somewhere by a guy that said he once owned a 2050 Marathon that had been custom built as a center console, but he did not specify whether it was a factory build or not.

The HIN on the transom reads: WNR00210?990. The ? is a letter, either an E or an F that I could not make out clearly.

The number on the motor bracket reads J225PXCED which indicates that it is a 225 HP with power steering and a 25" shaft. Using the CE to figure the year, it would be an 89 model, which would be original to the boat. If you use the ED for the year, the motor would be a 96 model. I am not sure which is correct, but the motor appears to be original to the boat.

The wiring appears to be in order on the boat and everything seems to be in good condition. Only a couple of issues with the boat that have me concerned: (1) There is a small area on the side of the hull that is discolored with a scratch in the center of it. The scratch does not appear to be too deep but I am wondering if it was a repaired at some point. (2) One of the rollers on the trailer has detached (the 2nd roller back in the trailer pic I posted) and the mount has made contact with the hull at some point and made a pretty deep gouge. It does not appear to be all the way through, but would need attention. (3) The biggest issue I found was in the storage area under the starboard jump seat. The deck wood is rotted pretty badly in that area. I am not real familiar with these boats, so I am not sure how big of an issue this is. I do know that rot of any kind in a deck is bad, though.

The guy at the pawn shop said the owner had it out in the lake a couple of weeks ago and would be willing to take it out with someone serious about buying it. He is asking $3,500 for it but the guy at the pawn shop said he would deal on it.

pny212

Seaman

sounds like a better than fair deal try for 3k, make sure you test drive it, it must fly with a 225, the wood under the jump seat is not a big deal as it was just trim wood and not structure, maybe it was a duel console converted or a custom from the beginning, I would be curious of what is under that carpet as it should be a glassed in deck, no reason for carpet, this may be one of the last boats they made

did you measure it ??? as it looks like an 1850 as the console is from an 1850 for sure and the layout is spot on, could have a wrong data plate or a mystery boat, but its a winner !!!!

tsnipes

Seaman

I did measure the boat. From the windshield to the tip of the bow is 10' exactly. From the windshield to the back edge of the transom was right at another 10'. I was expecting the overall length to be 20' 6", so I am not sure what the deal is.

The hull looks very close to that of the 2050 DC models. Come to think of it, I did notice two holes along the top side of each gunwale that I wondered what they were for. I am wondering now if maybe they had something to do with attaching either the dual consoles or the windshield???

I know from reading the other posts here that Winner did not use wood stringers, so rot should not be an issue there.

The data plate also rates it for 8 people or 1,200 lbs with a 225 on it.

I was thinking of offering $2,500 for it, pointing out the rot in the floor and going into how it may need a full deck replacement. The guy at the pawn shop said the owner had only had it for a few months and he probably does not know that much about it. The motor and controls and the trailer would be worth most of that price if the motor runs good.

tsnipes

Seaman

Now if I can only convince the wife of that. I just got a 197? 18' Thompson bowrider from my father-in-law and have not even had it in the water yet because it needs a transom replacement. Not sure she would be too receptive of another boat so soon, but I think the Winner is just too good a deal to pass up. Plus, we usually do at least one week long trip to the gulf every year and we have had to take turns going out in my brother-in-law's 17 footer.

Another question. How deep does your boat sit in the water and how much depth do you need to get it on plane? Some of the water we get in down on the gulf can be pretty skinny, especially when scalloping.

Thanks for all of the info.

Tim

tsnipes

Seaman

Nice boat. I definitely see a resemblance. I can tell that the area in front of and behind the console is a little smaller than the one I am looking at but the layout is the same.

I think the 2050 might be a little too deep running for the waters we typically fish in the gulf. We usually fish for trout in 4-6 feet of water but the redfish like to stay up closer to the shore.

I have been itching to get out into deeper water to try some grouper fishing but my brother-in-law doesn't want to go out that deep in his 17 footer without a buddy boat and that is probably smart.

I guess I could use the CC for deeper water and restore the bowrider for use closer to shore. It was free so I won't be too crushed if I hang it up on an oyster bar. It had been sitting under a carport for about 6 years before my father-in-law gave it to me. He just redid the floors but it still need a transom replacement before splashing it. Even though it had been sitting for that long, the old 85 Evinrude started up after only about 5 or 6 turns of the key and it runs like a champ.

I would be curious to see how fast the CC will run with the 225 on it if the 150 pushes yours at 50.

What part of Florida are you in?

Tim

winner owner

Seaman

If the boat is solid.. its worth its weight in gold, and it has an extra 2 feet of sea worthyness!Compaired to my 1850.
That trailer is smaller than the original...I think.Thats what threw me off thinking its a 1850.

Cheers.

tsnipes

Seaman

Do you agree with pny212 that I should not be overly concerned with the rot in the wood inside the starboard jump seat at the rear of the boat? I have read up and understand that Winner used fiberglass underneath the deck instead of wood, but I thought that the deck was standard glass over wood.

If I end up buying the boat, the carpet is definitely coming out, but I am not really up for a complete deck replacement right now. I would like to get a couple of years use out of the boat before doing any major work on it.

Also, what are your thoughts on using the boat in water under 4' deep? pny212 says he would not go in less than that on a plane. My concern is getting up on plane from a drift. Does the boat sit too deep in the water for what I would use it for most? We usually fish for trout in about 3-6 feet of water, but I would also like to go out further and I think the boat would be great for that.

Thanks,
Tim

tsnipes

Seaman

Just wanted to bump this back to the top to see if anyone could maybe help me out.

Thanks,
Tim

winner owner

Seaman

Yes I agree with pny212 that you should not be overly concerned with the rot in the wood inside the starboard jump seat at the rear of the boat. The vertical partitions are simply that partitions...not structural. The horizontal board at the bottom if rotten can be easily replaced. Just unscrew the screws off, remove the board and you will see the fiberglass stringers underneath it... I?m pretty certain they...the stringers are as solid as the day they were made.

there has been some debate as to whether there is wood deep within the fiberglass stringers or not ...some interpretations were that there is no wood in those stringers...so either way, if you screw a new board on top of that stringer put marine cocking on the screws to prevent water from getting in there! Do that with any screw going in the boat.

As far as that floor? I thought the floor was part of the woodless grillage system Winner made?
One way to verify is the cut out in the floor were the gas tank is...a close inspection of that cut area should reveal what those layers are made from? My boat is in storage so I can?t check right now.

If there is no wood in that floor then any damage to it would not be from rot but from some sort of stress put upon that floor...that carpet is not normal for that boat? I would want to know what?s under it...maybe it?s as simple as painting a new layer of gel coat.

Good luck!

winner owner

Seaman

I had my boat in Mosquito Lagoon in 2 foot of water...the problem is if you get grounded the boat is so heavy it's very difficult to get ungrounded,not to mention stick pushing the boat to sneak up on fish, unlike a flat bottom of a Flats boat... if you use the motor on that Winner to get ungrounded you may damage the marine environment not to mention your motor maybe .The deep V on that boat is for deep water...although I have yet to muster up the nerve to venture offshore and get on top of some good reefs to satisfy my passion...mostly I troll for salmon and trout in Lake Ontario.

tsnipes

Seaman

Great. Thank you so much for the info. I would not try to get in to fish for redfish with this boat, but would definitely want to be able to use it in 4-6 feet of water for trout and for the occasional scalloping trip when they are in season. I would like to do this without having to worry about whether or not I can get the boat on plane when it is time to head in.

Tim