1989 Bayliner Sunbridge 2455

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hi everyone, Ok, Here's the story. One of the local gentlemen bought this boat from marina. It sat in drydock for eight yrs. and abandoned. He does not have the title but he has all the noterized paperwork from magistrate to obtain title. He had plans to restore the boat but the poor guy has been sticken with the big "C". He told me I can have the boat for nothing. He had just sold the motor and outdrive. Trailer belongs to neighbor. I didn't drill holes but did hammer test on motor mounts,transome and bilge area and it all sounds solid. I know there is not much to be said about anything free. I value your opinions and wisdom so what do you all think? Should I , or shouldn't I ?

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

zool

Captain
Re: 1989 Bayliner Sunbridge 2455

Personally, i would pass, no motor, no outdrive, no trailer, sat for 8 years uncovered?......

jigngrub

Fleet Admiral

The hammer test is in no way conclusive, drilling is the only way to tell and it can even be misleading if you don't drill in the right spots.

I wouldn't take that boat on with anything less than a full blown restoration in mind.

If you take it and start tearing it apart you'll see just how rotten and old neglected boat can get, and there's no sense in spending big $$$ to put an engine and drive, a trailer, and cosmetic work in a rotten boat.

... but the bright side is if you take the boat and restore it you'll get a like new boat for a very small fraction of the price of a brand new boat. You'll also know your boat inside out and have a tremendous feeling of satisfaction when you're done.

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, If I take the boat I would plan on a full restoration. First I have to finish restoring the Skeeter. I dont have a problem with all the work or that it could take a few years to complete. Being new to boating I don't know if this brand or type of boat is worth restoring?

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Asked the wife on her thoughts about it and I got the old " It's all up to you dear, your the one who has to do the work on it". Big help!

zool

Captain

Asked the wife on her thoughts about it and I got the old " It's all up to you dear, your the one who has to do the work on it". Big help!

hehe, mine started out with the same statement, but now 5 months in, shes progressed to "when will it be done" and "how much does THAT cost"...

If what you mean by "is it worth restoring" as will you get your money invested out of it, the answer is no...especially since you need a drivetrain, but time on the water with friends and family is priceless, so it depends on your definition of worth.

ps, I cure the "how much does that cost" thing by just showing her nice new boats......then show here the price!

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Zool, I know you never get out what you put in. I've restored motorcycles,snowmobiles,cars,trucks and its all just my own form of therapy. I just wondered if that brand and style is worth it? Kind of like would I be restoring a Cadillac or a Pinto?

zool

Captain

Bayliner is a budget boat, just like my Imperial, does it make them bad, no, in fact, they have a fairly thick hull where it counts, but there is a stigma in the market, maybe not so much with the mold, but the overall build..lams, hardware, ect. Alot of that will be cured because you can beef it up, and not corner cut like a production line. Theres few engine choices as you most likely know, and most are decent.

It leans to the pinto end, with some cadillac amenities. Kind of an Dodge Airies K, with leather...

Bertrams, Blackfins, Tiaras, Donzis, and many more are all desireable hulls sometimes worth more than the cost to restore, but are costly to obtain, even in the shape of the boat youre considering.

Last edited:

duped

Petty Officer 1st Class

I would pass. We used to fish on an '87 2455, and it had very few good qualities. I'd wager quite a bit of money that there is plenty of rot. They didn't do the best glass work on them. Also the wiring is helter skelter....All gauges, buss bars, shore power would need gone through, not to mention powertrain, fiberglass and paint work, interior, upholstery and trying to seal those awful windows in the cabin. One can only imagine what you would put into it...8-10 grand wouldn't be a stretch, not to mention 100s of hours labor. Not saying it wouldn't come out nice, but you can't get rid of the dated styling, poor ride and Bayliner stigma.

Not trying to bash too much, but just giving my first hand experienced opinion with both this exact model, and projects I shouldn't have taken on!

poppop51

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Well I still can't make up my mind. Imagine that! I picture her all done with the family and grandkids on her but common sense is telling me to let it pass. I'll have to decide soon.

pckeen

Commander

I would pass - there's nothing left that is any good on that boat.

geneseo1911

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Personally, I wouldn't touch it with a 10 foot pole. Actually makes me itchy just looking at it. But I don't care for the styling at all. If you REALLY like the looks, and are a glutton for punishment, it MIGHT be worth it. Be aware you'll be in it for more than the final value in materials alone, not counting the new driveline, or ANY labor. If you took a part time job at minimum wage for the same number of hours you'd spend working on that boat, you could buy something decent. The only good things I see are that the drive is already out, so you can put any motorvation you want in there. You could have the only big-block Bayliner around. It would be a lot like putting a v-8 in a Pinto, actually.....

Short version....You'd have to be in love with THIS model boat to even consider it.