1987 CHRIS CRAFT AMEROSPORT 284

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
Now that the weather is warming up I have started to pick away on some projects. This pass weekend I added trailer brakes and lights to the trailer and now its time to start picking away at the boat. On a boat like this, Is there somewhat of a easy wat to fix the gas gauges. I have drained all the old gas out of the tanks, one reads half and the other reads empty. This next weekend I am installing carb seals, putting fresh gas in, spark plugs, plug wires, oil change, fuel filters, oil filters. Hopefully I will have it running good by the end of the weekend. Any tips?
swap gauge lines to tanks and see if problem re-appears. You can isolate problem.

I have now got the trailer ready, boat running decent (little bit of idling issues), oil changed, lower unit oil changed, muffs put on motors to test water pumps, tested bilge pumps, got the trim working. Will be putting the boat on the water sunday to do further testing. thanks for all the tips.

We got the boat on the lake yesterday, almost everything went really smooth. We have a slight leak coming from one of the outdrives we think at least(have to do further testing). One of the motors is running flawless, and one is running alright until you surpass around 2500 RPM. Anyone know a good way to find the leak without pulling the outdrives off? Anyone know why we are backfiring on the one motor?(recently replaced plugs, wires, distributor cap, fuel filter, fuel, carb clean, etc.) Unless we did one of them wrong. I snapped a photo so everyone can see it out on the water for the first time.

-CHRIS CRAFT AMEROSPORT 284-
-MERCRUISER ALPHA ONES-

Attachments

• BOAT.jpg
    BOAT.jpg
    517.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

nola mike

Vice Admiral
We got the boat on the lake yesterday, almost everything went really smooth. We have a slight leak coming from one of the outdrives we think at least(have to do further testing). One of the motors is running flawless, and one is running alright until you surpass around 2500 RPM. Anyone know a good way to find the leak without pulling the outdrives off? Anyone know why we are backfiring on the one motor?(recently replaced plugs, wires, distributor cap, fuel filter, fuel, carb clean, etc.) Unless we did one of them wrong. I snapped a photo so everyone can see it out on the water for the first time.

-CHRIS CRAFT AMEROSPORT 284-
-MERCRUISER ALPHA ONES-
1. No. And you'd need to pull the drive to fix anyways, AND you should be pulling the drives as normal maintenance AND you should for sure pull them on a new to you boat.
2. Bad fuel is typically suspect #1. Would try running off a jerry can, and maybe swap carbs since you have twins. Did you ever check compression? Timing? Double/triple check plug wire order.