1985 Caribbean Jaguar

Status
Not open for further replies.

toey1977

Cadet
Well I am back but had to get a new username, and am a bout embark on my third resto.First one was a 70's model microplus that I never took to the water but the guy who bought it from me said it was a great boat. but the good old 71 Evinrude 100hp did get him with the electric shift. My second resto job was a 1985 stejcraft 13ft ski boat with a 70hp Johnson, I done this last summer (Christmas new year in Australia) which I will see if I can get some quick pictures up of that if anyone is interested. Turns out my wife enjoyed the boat even though she swore she would never get on one, hence why I sold the first one and kids love the hell out of it.

So now without meaning to I am about to embark on a third resto which as mentioned in the tilte is a 1985 Caribbean Jaguar 17ft ski/speed boat. The reason it is not meant to of happened was as it always goes i wasn't looking for another boat even though the 13 footer was a bit small we were happy, until Facebook happened to show a listing of the now said project for $1600 with a supposed good condition 140hp Evinrude on it, BINGO upgrade time my brain said FFS my wife said... so a day off work so I didn't loose it and off we set got there boat has had a bogan paint job and drivers seat added, when I got there the guy had already started the motor (bugger I wanted to see a cold start) anyway he said it hadn't been started for a couple of years so he wanted to check even though he claimed it had been checked by his mechanic mate and had a compression of 140 on all cylinders. long story short I bout the boat while the guy was getting messages from other people saying they'd buy it.

uVtVJna.jpg

JewtpD4.jpg

N2TOpPJ.jpg

I4w6jGH.jpg

XALqf4q.jpg

shOrEQO.jpg

5mENnB4.jpg

8Zl7Zk0.jpg

H6fCeMG.jpg

toey1977

Cadet
first time starting the 140 it seems stubborn but just think it had a air lock in the fuel line, it did give a couple of splutters but once I re-squeezed the bulb it came good and sounded sweet after a minute or two running on the muffs.

toey1977

Cadet
how ever I did notice this water leak, Is it bad? is it nothing to worry about? hardish to see but you can see water coming from the from edge of the motor (or is it the rear lol) only a slow leak but none the less still there

toey1977

Cadet
Well decided to do a few early mornings at work just because I want to get this boat done before summer hits here in Australia which gives me a few months easy, but the black enamel and metal flake paint is proving to be a stubborn sanding opponent. That crossed with the fact that who ever sprayed it last had heaps of water in their air line so the paint is blistered and cracked everywhere. At least four hours to prep a engine cover for primer is a looooong time for the sized job, but most of it had to be sanded back to the thin layer of gel coat thanks to the humidity blisters affecting the original paint over most of the cover. Pretty boring pictures but after sanding this thing for 4 hours minimum on my side i am pretty happy lol

LELh0OL.jpg

cNdi7pP.jpg

Pitty I couldn't save the original decals
vP16i4N.jpg

still has the original colour hiding under the original decal
E5nti0Y.jpg

that paint is real nasty looking
Sihxhpz.jpg

Qho1rx0.jpg

toey1977

Cadet
Well another week down and another week closer to summer gave the little compressor a good work out on the weekend sanding back to mostly gel coat. Got the new holes size and done for the new fuel filler and anchor lights hoping to also get some fishing done in this even though it is a ski boat so still have to figure out where a suitable spot for the fishing rod holders will be, also got the bracket made to lift the motor today so hopefully get that off this weekend coming and all the gauges out so not to far before I can hopefully put some primer on the top cap.

toey1977

Cadet
got the boat nearly ready for prime half of the color bought, (candy blue) got the seats nearly de-trimmed ready to go off the the re-trimmers also built another drivers seat to match the original passenger seat. So the ridiculous race seat from a car is gone :laugh::joyous::lol:. So far I have bought new lights new stainless fuel filler new stainless rod holders (yes rod holders on a ski boat... hey it still floats where the fish are) new Bimini new momo steering wheel. time to put some spending towards the motor and do water pump and check thermostats

Status
Not open for further replies.