1985 Bayliner 2750 Ciera Sunbridge Resto

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've started going through my electrical system while the cabin is disassembled. The engine bay was/is a mess, but I repaired a burnt pin in the engine harness and isolated and pulled through obsolete wires.
Once I cleaned the main connections, I was able to figure out and temporarily label (all but two of) my dash switches. All lights work, gauges come on, the blower needs replaced, bilge pump hums, the horn honks, power trim works, and the starter makes a grindy/clicky sound when trying to turn the motor over.

I'll try to turn this motor over and check compression before I proceed with much else.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I've started going through my electrical system while the cabin is disassembled. The engine bay was/is a mess, but I repaired a burnt pin in the engine harness and isolated and pulled through obsolete wires.
Once I cleaned the main connections, I was able to figure out and temporarily label (all but two of) my dash switches. All lights work, gauges come on, the blower needs replaced, bilge pump hums, the horn honks, power trim works, and the starter makes a grindy/clicky sound when trying to turn the motor over.

I'll try to turn this motor over and check compression before I proceed with much else.
Grindy Klicky hmmmm sounds...hmmm smells like New starter

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
I am the Egg Man! You can do it!

kcassells

Fleet Admiral

I'll try to turn this motor over and check compression before I proceed with much else

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Anyway I used this before my mechanic showed up for this test. I jumped the starter and you do NOT have to run the motor. I just needed the piece of mind. The other is the spark test.
Jumper kit; Worked fine. and you can always jump it with a screwdriver if you feel good about doing that

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
I am the Egg Man! You can do it!
Hahaha! I made that username for some game as a kid, and it seems to be the only username I can reliably remember when logging in anywhere. I guess I should make breakfast on the boat during sea trials for good luck!

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
Anyway I used this before my mechanic showed up for this test. I jumped the starter and you do NOT have to run the motor. I just needed the piece of mind. The other is the spark test.
Jumper kit; Worked fine. and you can always jump it with a screwdriver if you feel good about doing that

I'm really used to working on 2-stroke outboards and small engines, so I have a bit of a learning curve here. Did you jump the solenoid, or does this motor even have a solenoid?
Twenty bucks is a great deal on the compression tester, was it accurate?
I do have a spark tester, and actually replaced the plugs and wires already. The distributor on it is actually a Mercruiser part, not sure if that even matters

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
I pulled the spark plugs and squirted a little oil in each cylinder and let that sit while I replaced the blower and its hose. Then I pulled the drive belt (needs replaced anyway) and water pump assembly off the harmonic balancer. The motor turned over easily with a wrench, so I cranked it with the plugs still out. The grinding noise is still there, but I will try it with a better battery tomorrow before pulling out the starter motor.

Also replaced the cigarette lighter, gas tank cap, and one bow rail mount with better stainless new old stock parts I found cheap.

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
Looking forward to your compression and spark test. After that maybe a run on the engine and maybe the grinding noise will work itself out. When was the last time the piggy ran? One thing seems to lead to another lol$$

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
Looking forward to your compression and spark test. After that maybe a run on the engine and maybe the grinding noise will work itself out. When was the last time the piggy ran? One thing seems to lead to another lol$$
The original two owners are passed, so a 14 year old battery in the engine bay was my only clue. I'm just surprised that the engine and drive weren't locked up!

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
My newer battery turned over the engine great, no more grinding noise; the other battery can still be a house battery. I also replaced the key switch and cleaned connections on the solenoid.
Compression on the cold engine was:
1- 157
2- 162
3- 145
4- 145
5- 125
6- 178
7- 155
8- 175

I'm a bit worried about number 5, but I'll check compression again with a warmed up engine. I do have spark, so I will try to start the engine once I change the belt and impeller.

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
I changed the impeller, installed a new drive belt, and changed the lower unit oil (was a little dirty at the bottom, but no metal shavings or milky oil). I added some fuel to my gas tank and tried starting the motor, but I got nothing. It fired on carb cleaner, so now it's time to work through the fuel system.

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
I changed the impeller, installed a new drive belt, and changed the lower unit oil (was a little dirty at the bottom, but no metal shavings or milky oil). I added some fuel to my gas tank and tried starting the motor, but I got nothing. It fired on carb cleaner, so now it's time to work through the fuel system.
probly lost siphon. mine did. i shot a few shots of gas in it . and it started and ran. now there is fuel running up to carb. if it runs on carb cleaner just do what i did.... cheers

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
probly lost siphon. mine did. i shot a few shots of gas in it . and it started and ran. now there is fuel running up to carb. if it runs on carb cleaner just do what i did.... cheers
That's easy enough to try tomorrow! I'll glance at the built in fuel filter too; it's probably not the worst thing for me to be a little familiar with a little bit of everything on the motor.

eggs712

Petty Officer 1st Class
With a helper cranking and me spraying gas in the carb, the motor fired right up and I let it idle at about 800 rpm. However, I noticed water pouring out of the drain hole and the temp came up to 180° degrees pretty quickly, so I had to kill the motor. I appear to be missing some plumbing, so I need to study part diagrams.

I attached a video of where the water was coming from:

Attachments

• 20230429_153851.mp4
    17.8 MB · Views: 0

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
With a helper cranking and me spraying gas in the carb, the motor fired right up and I let it idle at about 800 rpm. However, I noticed water pouring out of the drain hole and the temp came up to 180° degrees pretty quickly, so I had to kill the motor. I appear to be missing some plumbing, so I need to study part diagrams.

I attached a video of where the water was coming from:
glad to hear it got goin.... sorry cant help with the leak..... thats a bummer. but glad to hear i could help in some way. cheers

1975oday22

Chief Petty Officer
glad to hear it got goin.... sorry cant help with the leak..... thats a bummer. but glad to hear i could help in some way. cheers
looks like a freeze plug is missing? here is 2 videos might be of some use.

Last edited: