1984 Evinrude 75hp

nate44

Cadet
I just purchased this motor. I have no history on it. Put a new water pump and starter on. I got it running on carb and choke cleaner. It is leaking fuel out of the small rubber tubing going to the carbs, which I need to replace.
QUESTION: when running it smokes like I am fogging the engine. When I turned it off alot of dirty oil was coming out of the exhaust hub

What is going on????

thanks for any replies

Nate

nate44

Cadet
Re: 1984 Evinrude 75hp

Sorry I forgot to add. No VRO. I was running it on pre-mix.

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

do not run the motor on carb cleaner,hopefully you didnt hurt it already,it does not contain lubrication and will break down any lube that is in the eng from previous use,the crap you see is the crud that the cleaner has cleaned.it is normal to get some crud out of prop exhust after running,if you must prime the eng to get running always use premix in a spray bottle,your eng will need the carbs removed,cleaned throughly by dissasembly and soaking in a carb cleaner kit that you can buy at auto stores,you should buy rebuild kits,sold on iboats sitethe small hose is probably your fuel primer assy hose designed to send raw fuel into the eng as a traditional choke butterfly alternative

nate44

Cadet

So from your reply I take it that the carbs need rebuilt, but what is causing the smoke? unburnt fuel?
Are these pretty good motors to put money into?

thanks

mikesea

Lieutenant Commander

Its Possible The Eng Was Fogged Before You Got It,so Residual Burnoff, And Yes Carbs Need To Be Cleaned In A Solution Bought At Auto Stores And Should Have Kits Installed,you Should Borrow Or Buy A Compression Guage.if Your Comp.is Good Meaning All Cylinders Are Whithin 10-15 Psi ,motor Is Clean,its Worth Saving,they Are Great Engines,if You Do The Work Your Looking At 75 Bucks In Parts