1982 Johnson 9.9 water pump

MMCK5

Cadet
New to the forum here, but I have read lots of good info. here so I figured I'd see if I can get any help with an issue I am having.

I recently purchased an old mirrocraft 14' with a Johnson 9.9 long shaft style outboard (it has the extension housing).

I was told by the previous owner to replace the impeller since it had not been done recently.

I removed the lower unit and when pulling the water pump off the shaft, the shaft pulled out from the gear housing. I'm assuming there is nothing that holds this in place, otherwise it would not have pulled out?

I then replaced the water pump, impeller and got it installed with no issues.

The problem I am having now is I can get the lower unit all the way up against the upper. It seems like it has something to do with the shaft not sliding up far enough, but I suppose it could also be the copper tube not getting into the rubber grommet. Should this require a great amount of force to get it all the way up? Is there a trick to getting this back together that I am missing?

Thanks in advance for any help..

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
shift rod link properly mated. ??

do you have a borescope to look up the exhaust housing to see if the grommet is in good condition.

try a dab of grease on the water tube. try turning the FW while to match the drive shaft and PW head

patience brings joy...

MMCK5

Cadet
shift rod link properly mated. ??

do you have a borescope to look up the exhaust housing to see if the grommet is in good condition.

try a dab of grease on the water tube. try turning the FW while to match the drive shaft and PW head

patience brings joy...
I did put some grease on the tube and grommet.. It is possible this could be stopping it- but wouldn't there be some give when I was pushing it as the tube hits the rubber? Thats why I think its the shaft. One thing I did notice is that the water pump kit includes 3 different grommets. I used the smallest one because thats what was on the old housing. Should I have used the longer style instead?

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
if you replaced the same size grommet it should be ok ... work the top end ...

rotate the fw to line up the drive shaft splines. try shifting to raise the shift rod as you push up can you see the upper grommet condition uop the exhaust housing.. is it in place properly.

flip the motor upside down and wiggle things on the way down... easier on the arms

OptsyEagle

Lieutenant
It has to move gears to push back up so as Crosbyman said, try moving the flywheel while pushing on the motor and if that does not work, move the prop. When the gears align properly it should go back up.

MMCK5

Cadet
It has to move gears to push back up so as Crosbyman said, try moving the flywheel while pushing on the motor and if that does not work, move the prop. When the gears align properly it should go back up.

I will try the moving the flywheel. I did notice that when I have the shaft in the lower unit before trying to put it on- the prop spins independent of the shaft.. Is this an issue?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The water tube must be installed into the midsection first.-----Flywheel must be turned slowly while pushing lower unit up.----Shift rod notch must be lined up with the hole before putting the bolt in.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
see pict similar shift link connector... rods must be properly inserted before bolting

Attachments

• 6HP.Sh_Cnktr.jpg
    6HP.Sh_Cnktr.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 1

MMCK5

Cadet
I turned the motor upside down and was able to get the lower unit snug up against the upper housing.. But when I cant get the shift linkage connected because there isn't a large enough gap to get the screw in. Also it doesnt seem like the linkage is far enough into the fitting to secure it even if I did tighten it..

I am wondering if I actually do happen to get it together if I will have to take it apart again because the prop doesnt move with the shaft... Is this an issue.

When I have the motor on the boat and tilted I cant get it to go up far enough to even think about trying to line the linkage up.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You operate the shift handle to push the rod DOWN all the way.----You pull the lower rod all the way UP , while turning the prop.-----This give you ample room for tools to connect up the shift rod.-----When it is together it will shift correctly !!

MMCK5

Cadet
Well I managed to get it back together and it appears to be working. The only thing I am uneasy about is the shift linkage- I was unable to get the groove on the linkage perfectly centered in the screw hole of the fitting. I tried every which way, but it would not go any further. I snugged the bolt up tight and put it through forward, reverse and neutral and the prop was engaging when in gear.
There was a few times when I was shifting that it would jump out of reverse after I moved the shifter into position. If I held the shifter it would stay engaged. Once I turned the flywheel it would go right into gear no problems. Is that normal?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
But you must line up the notch with the hole before you put the bolt in !!----And most out boards need to be running for proper shifting.----Or on a stand you need to turn the propshaft when shifting.-----Get this right or you will be spending beer tokens on parts !!

MMCK5

Cadet
But you must line up the notch with the hole before you put the bolt in !!----And most out boards need to be running for proper shifting.----Or on a stand you need to turn the propshaft when shifting.-----Get this right or you will be spending beer tokens on parts !!
I tried pulling up on the lower rod, but there it didnt have any movement. The lower rod seemed to have a very slight bend on the end, but I don't think it is enough that if it was straight it would be the difference here. I thought about trying to bend it but I dont want to chance breaking it.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Agreed the bend has to be there.----Stop and listen.----Perhaps spread the connecter with screwdriver so that rod goes in easier.----Read post #10 and #12.----Those are the facts and not wild guesses on my part.-----I own numerous examples pf these wonderful motors for parts / rebuilding !

MMCK5

Cadet
Agreed the bend has to be there.----Stop and listen.----Perhaps spread the connecter with screwdriver so that rod goes in easier.----Read post #10 and #12.----Those are the facts and not wild guesses on my part.-----I own numerous examples pf these wonderful motors for parts / rebuilding !
I appreciate the advice and am not ignoring any of it. I am going to take another crack at this later tonight.

How does turning the prop allow the rod to move higher? Is there something mechanical that pushes the rod up down in the gears?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
???-----Look at pictures of these parts.----Clutch dog and gears have lobes and must be turning for proper engagement !!----When you become familiar with these parts the repair work becomes easier.----Sorry to be blunt here.

Chief Petty Officer
Another vote for turning the flywheel and lining everything up EXACTLY before tightening.

"Kind of fitting" won't work here.

MMCK5

Cadet
I ended up taking the extension housing off and removing the linkage connector fitting. I cleaned out the holes and jammed a screwdriver into the slot and opened it up a hair. Then I reattached to the lower rod. After this the connector would turn more easily which helped align it. Once I had the connector back on I pulled up on the lower rod and it moved up. Previously it would not move up at all- whether I turned the prop or not, but this time it did and made a difference.. The upper rod slid right into the connector no problem this time.

Then I figured out the other problem with the shift lever. Before when I was attempting to get the upper rod into the connector bracket all the way, I held down the shift lever in forward as I pushed up- this broke the plastic piece( a detent type mechanism that holds the lever in gear) that the shift lever linkage attaches to. I have the part on order and it looks fairly easy to replace.