1981 Johnson 60HP lower unit question.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'm continuing my education and learning how to rebuild lower units. Doing one for a buddy for a boat I use to own and sold him. It has a bad lower unit. I had one laying around the house they tore up when I owned it. I am going to use what's good in each one and then buy what I need to make one good one. The one I have here has destroyed gears. From his description of the one he has it also has gears that are shot. My question is , are the made in America aftermarket gear sets for these units any good or should I try to find good used or NOS parts?

To specify this one exactly, it has the small gear case that these motors had. This is the 2 cyl 60hp.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So I have been looking around, reading. I see lots of what look like gauges for the $300 OMC tool and some other flat bar looking tools on eBay. But I haven't seen the exact procedure and tool for this series of engines. Does anyone have a picture, video or written description of setting this pinion up and pictures of the specific tool needed? Also I see referred to the proper torque of the pinion nut. How would I actually do that. My torque wrench is a socket wrench not an actual 11/16 wrench to tighten the pinion nut. Is there a socket you slip over the drive shaft so you can torque from that end while you hold the nut steady through the prop end?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is a special splined socket available ( have a couple myself ) that fits the spline on the drive shaft.---I use that to torque the nut.----If you understand meshing of gears.----Then " mechanics blue " ( prussian blue paste ) can be used to set this up.----Takes time , understanding and patience to do it.

clemsonfor

Lieutenant Junior Grade
So looking for a correct gear mesh pattern works as well, is what your saying.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I have the factory shimming tool.-----Know how to use it.----I know how to fit gears the old fashioned way too.