1978 SS 16 restoration

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
odd. any further help from me would require and on site evaluation and a beer or two.

Siva283

Petty Officer 1st Class
odd. any further help from me would require and on site evaluation and a beer or two.
Very odd. It's acting like the cables inside the sheath are stretched. Or and this is what I think it is. The cheap Chinese controls have a lot of slop. Forward has enough travel to over come it but reverse doesn't. My other option is to put a return spring on the throttle assembly in the motor

Siva283

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got the 90hp conversion done turns out it's just carbs and 2 more degrees of timing and your max rpm goes up 500 rpm

Siva283

Petty Officer 1st Class
And we caught some fish

Attachments

• 20230408_163931.jpg
    20230408_163931.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 16
  • IMG_20230408_152211.jpg
    IMG_20230408_152211.jpg
    683.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 20230408_143613.jpg
    20230408_143613.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15

Siva283

Petty Officer 1st Class
Oh at got reverse working properly now too. The controls had a stop in them that was out of adjustment

Siva283

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well got married Saturday morning. Went fishing Saturday evening first time running the motor since the mod. Sounded beautiful couldn't get over 4,000 rpm. Adjusted the timing still did it.
Just returned it back to a 75hp. This coming weekend it's a honeymoon on the Chesapeake bay

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Congratulations on getting married!! And going fishing the same day lol. Wife is obviously a keeper.

Siva283

Petty Officer 1st Class
Congratulations on getting married!! And going fishing the same day lol. Wife is obviously a keeper.
She helped with the boat from the beginning never complained never said it was to much work or to much money just enjoyed it.
They were having fun we were out fishing again today but got skunked. I think they were having fun learning to drive. I was out of frame and had the wheel from the bottom I don't think either noticed. She saw another woman driving a boat on the trailer and decided she wants to learn that so next up is trailer mods. This trailer isn't set up great you have to have it perfect you have a total is a half inches left or right then roller mounts will dig the bottom of the boat. So now I gotta figure out how to get it off the trailer or block it high enough to get in there to weld.

And since everyone likes pics here's our version of a reception.
Next week is honeymoon on the Chesapeake

Attachments

• 20230416_125631.jpg
    20230416_125631.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230415_174643.jpg
    20230415_174643.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230415_174858.jpg
    20230415_174858.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230415_174859.jpg
    20230415_174859.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
  • 20230415_174641.jpg
    20230415_174641.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 13

Siva283

Petty Officer 1st Class
Well the boat did awesome out on the Chesapeake. We spent alot of time in the open bay. Saturday there were storms brewing and th bay was really rough. 3 foot white caps rough so we stayed in protected waters. But the boat did absolutly amazing.
The wife was estactic. We went to lunch and dinner by boat every day and I overpaid for fuel twice because she enjoys the fuel peir so much.
All in all she was very happy especially since she go to sight see and we did alot of fishing. Thanks to the Starcraft for an awesome weekend.
I also got the motor height alot closer I think I need to raise it a touch more. I have it raised pretty high and I still get porpoising before cavitation.

Siva283

Petty Officer 1st Class
I havent been on much to update. Been enjoying the boat ALOT. Got another trip planned for my step sons birthday. We are taking him down to the chesapeake bad for some striper fishing with his new rod and reel he is getting and taking him by boat for his birthday dinner. Its been awesome last year the bilge came on every 5 minutes like clockwork this year it hasnt come on once except for my pre launch checks.
The boat gets a ton of attention too. Most that see it ask about it which was nice at first but now I just want to fish in peace. We have had other boats coming up while we are fishing asking about it. People at the ramp looking and getting in the way. Even had one guy jump behind it when I was backing down the ramp to stop us so he could look at it. Its insane.
Got a few peices of trim on the consoles that came loose that I need to reattach. Other than that shes been flawless. I am however amazed at how high I have the motor up on the jack plate and I am still slowly raising it.
With me and the wife we been averaging about 33-33mph and with both kids 29-31.
We seem to burning around 5-6 gallons an hour at cruising speed. Wish I could find a way to eek a little more out of it.

Moserkr

Last time we were out was the first time the boat got no attention. Probably because we were at a big lake with people who had $200,000 wake surfing boats lol. Comes with the territory of restoring these old gems!

If you want to eke some more performance out of your motor, a stainless prop would probably be the best next step. Or if you arent reaching max rpm’s at WOT, changing the pitch. Ive been looking at new props for my boat to dial in the new motor. 35mph seems to be about the max these hull shapes can achieve which is what Im currently getting at WOT.

Siva283

Petty Officer 1st Class
Last time we were out was the first time the boat got no attention. Probably because we were at a big lake with people who had $200,000 wake surfing boats lol. Comes with the territory of restoring these old gems!

If you want to eke some more performance out of your motor, a stainless prop would probably be the best next step. Or if you arent reaching max rpm’s at WOT, changing the pitch. Ive been looking at new props for my boat to dial in the new motor. 35mph seems to be about the max these hull shapes can achieve which is what Im currently getting at WOT.
I am hitting the bottom if the RPM range for WOT. 4750-5250 is what mind has for a range and I am at about 4800.
I have though about going to a slightly shallower pitch prop. I am by rocks a fair amount so Stainless Props I think would be like russian rouletter for me.
I didnt even think about the potential fuel savings.
I could probably go an inch shallower and not lose any speed gain a little RPM and save some fuel. I am at I think 19x21 pitch. I might look into an inch or 2 shallower. I like my speed its great for those longer runs out on the bay.
With a 90hp I could break 40mph but my 75 is in better shape. I am going to go a little larger when I find a fuel injected 4 stroke though.

Moserkr

Hmmm you may not get much more out of the motor by changing the pitch, hard to say without trying. Doesnt sound like SS is wise if you know there are rocks around.

Never heard of these hulls breaking 40mph!! My new merc 75 is getting me to 35mph in slight chop. Trying a turning point hustler next which supposedly lowers the rpms a little with the same pitch/3 blades due to aggressive cupping. Higher pitch tends to go faster than lower pitch, just may take longer to get there. Next thing you could look at is your slip too. The turning points are supposed to help with slip.

Siva283

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hmmm you may not get much more out of the motor by changing the pitch, hard to say without trying. Doesnt sound like SS is wise if you know there are rocks around.

Never heard of these hulls breaking 40mph!! My new merc 75 is getting me to 35mph in slight chop. Trying a turning point hustler next which supposedly lowers the rpms a little with the same pitch/3 blades due to aggressive cupping. Higher pitch tends to go faster than lower pitch, just may take longer to get there. Next thing you could look at is your slip too. The turning points are supposed to help with slip.
I have my weight balanced pretty well I can hold plane down to about 15mph and I can get on plane at 1\4 throttle it takes a min but you can feel her crawling up outta the water. And I know it's a few hundred pounds heavier. She would cruise with that 90hp.
Knowing what I know now I am happy with 40ish mph and faster will really increase the stress on the hull and start knocking rivits loose.
I know if your not in the rpm range a lower pitch can sometimes make you go a little faster but it's a narrow area. I don't think I'll lose speed going with an inch less pitch but since it will lower the load on the motor a little and let it climb a little higher in the range I am thinking it might save me some fuel. If not it should still reduce some load on the motor. I would think.
I don't know to much about prop cupping and what not though so it seems like I got some research to do. I would think losing any rpm would not be good though since I am only 50 rpm above the bottom end of the wot range.

Moserkr

Learning about prop design is definitely a mind bender due to there being so many factors. This website had a decent article on props.

At least you know your baselines so going from there helps a lot. Im yet to get into the racing world of propellers but thats where they take it to a whole different world. Now Im wondering if I can get my boat to 40mph haha. Im yet to take her out when its glass to see what she can really do.