1977 25hp Johnson Sneezing

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I set up the idle jet on my 77 Johnson 25 hp and it idles like a champ.
I ram it wide open for a bit and tried to come back down to idle and it sneezes and backfires for quite a while before it settles back down to idle.
The last time I took it out it didn't seem to want to idle real well again after running it wide open and sneezed and coughed until I gave up (trying to set the idle jet again) and put it back on the trailer.

Any helpful hints or ideas????

Thanks much in advance.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Open the low speed jet 1/4 turn and try again. Perhaps throttle plate is opening too early.

Harry B.

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Found it!!
I should have noticed the change in sounds of the motor (louder and a hissing sound of sorts). The lockout lever screw came out. The previous owner disabled the high speed lock out and I didn't pay very close attention to it. Major vacuum leak causing the problems.

Thanks much racerone. I started the low speed idle jet process a couple of times without any luck before realizing what was going on and seeing all of the oil all over the power head. I put a bolt back in it's place and hope that this will take care of it. Again, thanks for the reply.

I just hope it didn't cause any damage to the powerhead/pistons/cylinder walls while I ran it that way.

Last edited: