1973 Starcraft SuperSport 16ft. restoration questions

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you for the return comment. The steps I am taking are in this order: removal of paint with Citristrip, power wash with water, use random orbital sander and 80 grit then wipe down with old T-shirt followed by 120 grit with the sander, spray on phosphoric acid and wait three minutes, power wash the phosphoric acid off, spray the Zep 505 on and wait three minutes then power wash with water. Ready for primer! Hooray!!

Safe boating,
Joe

classiccat

"Captain" + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2020
Thank you for the return comment. The steps I am taking are in this order: removal of paint with Citristrip, power wash with water, use random orbital sander and 80 grit then wipe down with old T-shirt followed by 120 grit with the sander, spray on phosphoric acid and wait three minutes, power wash the phosphoric acid off, spray the Zep 505 on and wait three minutes then power wash with water. Ready for primer! Hooray!!

Safe boating,
Joe
I wouldn't do that Zep between phosphoric acid & primer. I'm not a metallurgist by trade but it might have an unwanted surface reaction negating the benefits of the acid wash. If anything, after phosphoric acid you'll want a good water rinse followed by a chromate conversion (aka Alodine).

It sounds like you purchased the Zep and it's burning a hole in your garage shelf. :ROFLMAO: A good spot(s) for that would be right before &/or right after the chemical strip prior to going into sanding.

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Hi Classiccat! I was just reading your 18' SS thread...WOW...there is a lot more to be aware of and to do on a boat restoration than I ever realized.

I did purchase the Zep cleaner as the Admiral and I went all over the area the other day and could not find a dedicated aluminum cleaner to use on the boat. Everyone said that boating season was over...come back in the Spring. My intention is to strip and prepare the four major sheet aluminum units before the Winter weather moves in so that the units can be stored in the basement.

This afternoon (59 degrees) I sprayed the Zep 505 onto the glovebox console unit, waited 3 minutes and then power washed the unit with water. Came out nice and clean and, after wiping the water off with paper towel (that stayed white/no aluminum coloration), I could feel the etched surface was still intact. That said though, your recommendation as to using the Zep product right after the Citristrip process makes more sense to me. So...it's 1) Citristrip, 2) Zep 505, 3) sanding with 80 and then 120 grit paper/random orbital sander, 4) phosphoric acid etching; each step followed by power washing. Then the primer.

To be sure of getting a good primer/paint adhesion I will go back over the glovebox console unit, that I worked on today, with phosphoric acid followed by a good power wash. That should eliminate potential problems paint wise.

So...with all that said...I can say that there surely isn't any item or product "burning a hole on my garage shelf". The fact is that I have never before attempted a project like this boat restoration and I certainly don't have the accumulated knowledge/experience shown on these threads. It is humbling to have to ask for help/assistance with product selection and order of work information. Lots of questions going through my mind...perhaps I should do more reading/research and less posting of questions.

Safe boating,
Joe

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Lots of wet weather in my neighborhood lately and more on the way. Not really complaining though 'cause at least it's not snow!

The paint strip detail has ceased until the temperature reaches back up into the middle 60's and the sky dries some. I am working on the boat outside so for now I have my eyes on removing the top and inside piece on each gunwale as well as the long rub rails and rubber. Probably get the front top piece off too if possible this Fall because the wood underneath the top piece is questionable. More rivets to remove and more paint to strip...might just get good at this, LOL.

Safe boating,
Joe

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Does anyone have a good source for a quality belly tank in the 27 - 30 gallon range to fit this '73 16' Starcraft SS? I really don't want to use two 6 gallon individual tanks with the 85 Johnson. The larger capacity belly tank will allow external filling at the pump and a fuel gage on the dash...something very important when the Admiral is on board! Running out of fuel when out on Lake Michigan or while fishing on one of our large local inland lakes would NOT be considered having a good time with the boat. Not at all...

Safe boating,
Joe

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Was thinking about the fuel tank option and suddenly had a thought. The local gas station (about a mile or so away) has gas (87 octane) at $3.41 gallon. A 30 gallon fuel cell would be $100 plus just for the gas and then there is additive too. If I use 93 octane plus the additive it lightens the wallet even more. Mentioned this to the Admiral a moment ago and my bride of 52 years looked at me sweetly and said, "I don't see any problem with that". WOW! Surprised the heck outta me! With all due respect...THIS ADMIRAL ROCKS!!

Safe boating,
Joe

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Moving all of the liquid materials used for the restoration into the basement to avoid freeze damage as well as the power washer and a few more items. If we get some decent weather during the next few weeks I can always dig out what I need to work on the boat. Still have plywood flooring and such to cut and rivets to drill out so that can keep me out of the Admiral's way. Oh, decided to wait until Spring to put the new transom on the boat. Probably will not post too much until the restoration gets rolling in April or May as I will be tarping the boat for Winter and moving it away from the garage and driveway to prevent covering it with snow when snow blowing...we can do a lot of that in Up North Michigan! Take care and I hope you all have happy holidays and a safe Winter!!

Safe boating,
Joe

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you for the "likes" my friends!!! Hope all of you are having a BOO-t-full and HORROR-rendous Halloween! LOL

Safe boating,
Joe

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
High of 61 degrees this afternoon with a beautiful blue sky and then a high of 39 degrees on Friday...Yikes... and maybe some snow...

Have the boat tarped and the helm console is ready for me to strip paint later so I think I am going to get the transom cover sheet metal cleaned and ready for the paint strip session too. There are a lot of aluminum and chrome items to clean up plus the plywood pieces. Giving some thought to making the instrument panel and a glove box panel from Oak. Oh... and the Admiral is considering the idea that we take the half hour ride over to the Lake Michigan shore line and view the Fall colors which are at peak along the waterfront; driving north from Crystal Lake to Sleeping Bear Dunes and and then over to Sutton Bay before turning south to head back to Traverse City along the West Bay can make for a really nice and enjoyable day. I had better go shave and get ready LOL!!

Safe boating,
Joe

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Happy Thanksgiving to my friends! Hope you are having a great day, and yes, I already had a slice of the pumpkin pie I made yesterday! Had it with breakfast LOL!!

Happy Holidays,
Joe

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Just caught up on your thread here piperjoe! Glad to see the boat back in your hands and moving along. Reading it reminded me how much fun (hard work) tearing down my 160ss was and how rewarding it was to (almost) complete it. Not sure we ever quit working on these projects haha. Keep up the good work! Cant wait to see her hit the water.

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Hi Moserkr! Thank you for the kind comments. I am definitely looking forward to working on my boat when Spring arrives. Lots of old paint to remove! I did not realize how much fun it was to work on the boat until the weather brought the project to a standstill. Right now it's parked by the wood pile and covered with snow. Come on Spring!!

A question for you: where did you get the top for your boat, and do you have any problems with a top like that in the wind or while running across the water? Guess that's two questions, LOL!

Safe boating,
Joe

Moserkr

Chief Officer + Starmada Splash Of The Year 2021
Removing the paint was definitely not my favorite part but in the end all worth while. Wish I had tried the citrus-strip - the jasco stuff is pretty harsh and I did not have great results. I understand the snow issues, i got lucky last winter to be able to work on mine all year. This year Im buried.

The top on mine came from the online jungle store - but I didnt buy it, the PO did. I like it a lot and when its really hot here, I wouldnt boat without it. Its up 99% of the time. As for the wind factor, never really noticed it being a problem. Our favorite lake we boat on is fairly windy too, and my only issue is I would order the next one to be slightly lower in height. Im average height so I dont need head clearance, and just think it would look better being a little lower - nothing to do with wind performance, just personal preference. I wouldnt want one that attaches to the windshield though cause bending over to move around does not sound fun. The width on it is nice - goes all the way to the rails edge to attach, and I used blind rivets instead of screws to re-install.

You will easily have enough power with your motor to push through winds when its up. If the wind gets so bad you have to take the top down, you wouldnt want to be out there in a 16’ open bow boat anyway. Had a thunderstorm roll in as we were leaving after a boat camping trip - 2-3’ chop out of no where, high winds, lightening, thunder, rain. Boat fully loaded with camping gear, left the top up and full throttled a few miles back to the dock. She handled like a dream actually, cutting through the chop at max weight, and this was before restoration, so did that with 5% of my rivets compromised lol.

Just remember to add a few twists to the lines that hold the top in place so they dont vibrate in the wind.

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Thank you for the information regarding the top. Your thoughts make a lot of sense and I'll remember to twist those lines after your suggestion... that is an idea I most likely would not have thought of. Stay safe in all that snow you have out your way!

Safe boating,
Joe

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Hello my friends! It is Spring time in Up North Michigan! The Crocus are blooming with bright colors, the birds are singing and the sun is shining. Yesterday, the temperature got up to 58 degrees and it was nice.

So, after raking the remaining snow piles down and spreading the snow out on the lawn to melt (it did), getting the 1/4" thick piece of ice off the pooled water on the boat tarp at the transom, bailing the water off the tarp to let the tarp dry, I decided to rake the Winter debris (leaves, sticks, etc) from the area where I will continue working on the boat restoration. We are looking forward to a few "warm" days this week, albeit with some rain and winds, but at least it's looking like I can pull the boat up by the garage and start working on the boat again. At least that's the plan...the Admiral just told me the weeks weather forecast mentioned snow for the upcoming weekend. LOL 😂

Safe boating,
Joe

piperjoe

Chief Petty Officer
Now just cut that out! Looking out the window and there are snow flakes being blown around by the 20-30mph wind gusts. Anyone want to buy a started boat restoration?

Safe boating,
Joe