1970 Seaswirl

joshua1

Cadet
Hi Everybody,<br /><br />I am new to this BBS and am looking for some advice. I have a 1970 Seaswirl boat. I think it is a 17 foot boat with a 75 HP motor. <br /><br />The boat has been sitting covered by a tarp for the last 7 years. I am planning on taking it to a marina and having it tuned up so that we can use it again. It's primary use would be crabbing and fishing in the Tillamook bay (Oregon). <br /><br />Is it worth fixing this boat up or should I consider a newer one ? I am not too shure what the boat is worth and how much I should invest in it. <br /><br />Assuming that it's worth fixing up and the motor turns out to need repair or replacement, would it be wise to buy one of the new 4 stroke motors now on the market.<br /><br />I'll check back later tonight and see if anyone responds to my post.<br /><br />Thanks,<br /><br />Jim<br /><br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

suzukidave

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: 1970 Seaswirl

It's worth finding out. I would actually start by trying to turn the motor over yourself but if you don't have the time or inclination, take it to an outboard shop and ask them to try get it started. If they can do that then pay for a tune up. If they can't start it or say it needs more than a tune up, tell us exactly what they say is wrong with it. The engines and motors section of this board is a gold mine of advice.<br /><br />As for the boat, it depends. Condition not age is the important issue. My boat is a 1967 and it suits me fine, and I think old boats are definitely worth a little tlc.. FG boats built before 1975 were generally more strongly built than hulls today because they were overbuilt due to uncertainties about FG strength and due to the cheapness of fg before the oil crisis. Check the transom and floor for wood rot and check the hull for cracks (don't worry about gouges) or holes. If the deck has hatches, feel underneath to check the stringers for rot and any flotation foam. Even if it has all these things (except hull cracks) you can still restore the boat cheaply if you are mildly handy and have some time.

joshua1

Cadet
Re: 1970 Seaswirl

Thanks suzukidave for the reply. <br /><br />I am pretty sure the boat is in decent condition. I am sure I can check to see if the motor will turn over. I might even be able to get it started. <br /><br />I'll go over the boat looking for cracks and other damage. Can you recommend any good books on boat maintenance ??? Maybe I can save some $$$ doing as much of the maintenence myself and then take the boat to the marina to be checked out for safty purposes.<br /><br />Thanks for your help,<br /><br />Jim<br /><br />~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~